GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

newbie - got some questions

Started by taterbug613, March 15, 2014, 03:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taterbug613

hey guys/gals, I have been riding the atv in a new (to me) area close to my home. Tons of trails, lots of intersecting trails, etc. i have had my 60csx with me for the past two days & now i have a bunch of tracks. how do i get them onto a map permanently? reading thru the internet has just confused me, so i figure you guys would be the best place to turn,
Thanks in advance!!!!

Boyd

There are two programs that make it pretty easy to turn tracks into a transparent map overlay.

http://www.gpx2img.com

http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html

I have not used either as I have more powerful mapmaking tools.

taterbug613

has anyone used either or perhaps both? is one better or easier than the other? not looking to build extensive maps, just get my tracks on there

BobT

I have used the first one and it is pretty easy.  Using this program it is difficult to share your maps with others, but just for yourself it is OK.
I have just looked at the second one and it seems similar except it will also make a .gmap file that I think is easy to distribute.  I tested a file with 60 tracks and 200 POI's and I didn't see how to make the POI's have different Icons.  It does support Garmin .gdb file which contain color so that may make it much better.  I think the author of it is on this site.  I know for sure that several people on here are much more knowledgeable than I.

philreedshikes

Also new here, not new to maps, but new to making maps for a gps.  I want to create a map for my etrex20 using USGS quad topos.  I've been using map apps (backcountry navigator pro and trimble) on my android, but want to now use the etrex. (the download of usgs tiles of any selected area takes seconds on the galaxy 3s, but that I guess that technology hasn't transferred (no pun).

I've read 'almost' everything here, it seems the national map(May 2014) no longer provides geotiff that MOAGU references (2008). What's confusing me (and there's a lot it seems), is the recent posts says they are following the tutorials (could be I'm on the wrong page).

But after 8 hrs here and on USGS pages, I'm throwing in the towel and asking for help.

So, how do I make a map for my garmin device using data from the national map/usgs?

MANY THANKS!

Seldom

I've use G-raster, from MOAGU author, to create raster maps from USGS raster maps.  It will load USGS topo's with collar.  Thought it would do GeoPDFs too, but can't find it now.  Found it.  There's a GeoPDF tool in the tools drop-down.

Boyd

If you want USGS 24k topo maps, you might consider purchasing Birdseye Topo instead. You get unlimited downloads for $30, and there are no real limits to the size of this kind of map either, unlike Garmin Custom Maps (.kmz files) where you can only have 100 1024x1024 tiles.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-trail-maps/birdseye-topo-raster/c452-c456-c607-p1.html

I have made Garmin custom maps from USGS 24k quads - several are available here for download. You need to use a resolution of about 10ft per pixel in order to see all the fine details. This uses 16 1024x1024 tiles per USGS quad, so you can only have the equivalent of 6 quads loaded on your GPS at a time, which is rather limiting.

Unless you only want to map a few quads near your home, I think the $30 is a bargain and will save you a lot of time. Caveat - I have not used it myself, but if I wanted USGS quads I would purchase it, because it's kind of a pain making your own maps in this format. :)

philreedshikes

@ Mssrs Seldom & Boyd:  again many thanks, this is fascinating (albeit like learning a new language), I'll get on it immediately (wish me luck!)

philreedshikes

Ok, please disregard my previous ignorant questions.  Now that I've used g-raster to take a quad pdf and make a tif,.....what next?  (to get to the next step of getting a map on my garmin...),  if I have to go thru basecamp, don't I need .img files?  (can you tell I'm flailing around here?)  I will understand if you trash this.

philreedshikes

ok, finally figured that I needed to upload the kmz into basecamp, initially the import menu wouldn't highlight.  Seems g raster only processed about 1/8th of the topo tiff, now must work that out.