GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Routable OHV & ATV Maps for Garmin Montana 650T

Started by BigTMontana650T, February 23, 2014, 11:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigTMontana650T

I have recently gotten back into the off-roading and GPS world after a 10 year hiatus. I just purchased a Garmin Montana 650T for my Can-am Maverick. My wife and i bought the Maverick to go and explore the Deserts and Mountains of Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, California and pretty much the rest of the Western states. We live in Southeast Idaho in Idaho Falls and there are some amazing places to travel the backcountry. Mostly we will be in Idaho, Wyoming and southern California. I have noticed that Polaris has an app which I have downloaded in my phone that has a pretty neat OHV trail map system. It appears to still be in its infancy though. But it has things like, what size of vehicles are allowed on certain trails, i.e. motorcycle, atv, side x side 54"and lower 60" and higher and also Jeeps and etc.

I am curious if anyone has seen or has a map that has these OHV trail areas that have routable capabilities? I am interested in all of mid to southeast Idaho OHV areas such as the Mackay and arco areas as well as Howe, Eight mile cyn, Birch creek OHV, basically all the OHV area of Southeastern Idaho. All of western Wyoming and Southern California, like Gorman, Frazier park OHV areas including Rowher Flats all the way to Lake Hughes OHV areas, and Ocotillo wells all the way down thru Glamis.

It would be nice to have all these back roads and trails as routable but I am sure that they cant all be. We almost got lost up in the Birch Creek area of Idaho one day but thank god good ol common sense and cooler heads prevailed! :) Please be understanding with my questions as like I said am pretty new to all of these more Modernized gadgetries! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BobT

There are several ATV Trails maps on this site for places like The Paiute, Moab, Taylor Park, WV, Tenn, Nevada and others......none are routable.  I know of no routable ATV trails maps.  One of the reasons is most of the makers use the various Garmin road types for various trails and modify the TYP file to show them as various difficulty colors, dashed, etc.  I for one would not want the responsibility or routing someone where it took them on a difficult trail. On you car Nuvi you can select fastest, shortest, etc and select which road types to avoid, this would be a pain if you have modified the Garmin road types.
More knowledgeable people on this site may have better insight than I.

BigTMontana650T

Thanks Bob T. I will keep checking in for any other insight.

Seldom

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ provides routable maps for the world.  They include highways and trails on the same map.  Might be worth a try to see if they have routable ATV trails in your area.