GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Converting from Mapsource to Basecamp

Started by el69564, January 28, 2014, 03:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el69564

I recently went from a etrex hcx to etrex20. I was having probs uploading tracks to the computer via Mapsource. Contacted Garmin - they told me it was Mapsource, and that I had to switch to Basecamp. Installed Basecamp - now I'm trying to "import" all my old tracks that I have saved on my computer. All my saved tracks are of the format "yyyy-mm-dd-track name.gdb".  When I do the import into a "new list" with Basecamp, each track that is imported carries a name of "dd-mmm-yy", eg 04-NOV-12.  The description part of the old track name is being dropped and the date format is not good for keeping a chronological list. Is there anyway to keep the track name and change the date format, without copying one at a time, then renaming the imported track to the name format that I want?  Thanks

Red90

Is the date format set on your computer the way you want it?

The track name should stay intact.  I just did a test and it works as expected.  are you certain the actual track with the GDB file is not labelled "04-NOX-12".  Basecamp will use the existing label of the track inside the file.

Perhaps you can upload a sample GDB file for us to look at?

el69564

After playing with this a little more, I see that Basecamp handles the import name a little differently, depending on the GPS that was used. The import from the HCx will handle the date as described above (DD-MMM-YY), still dropping the text part of the name. The import from the etrex20 does keep the date portion OK, ie YYYY-MM-DD followed by a time stamp - still dropping the text portion of the name.  Although, I do not know if the date imported is a result of my upload and save to my computer, or directly from the GPS track itself. Two tracks are attached. The 2009 one is from the HCx, the 2014 from the extrex20.  Thanks!! 

el69564

Red90 - I'm still playing around with this based on your last answer. When I do pull in an old (HCx) track into Mapsource, the date that I see is the DD-MMM-YY - so its this name that is imported and saved. I guess the question is then is there anyway to import/save the name that was actually used to save the track to the PC??   

Red90

In the first file, there are two tracks labelled "06-OCT-09" and "ACTIVE LOG 001".  when imported to Basecamp, that is what they are called.  The filename have nothing to do with  the "tracks".  If you import the whole file to "My Collection" (or drag and drop) you get a list titled with the file name and the named tracks inside of it.