GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Mod the etrex unit for micro SD card storage?

Started by powerstroker, December 21, 2013, 05:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerstroker

I posted here since this is seems to be the most used forum and I did not find a place people talk about modifying their hardware.

I finally figured out that it's not very practical to put all your maps (cith, topo of the entire US) on one SD card even if you could do that. The list gets too long when you go to "set map". I decided to a three-card approach: all 4 Gb, one for city map, one for Topo in the west (UT, OR, CO, AZ, etc. ) and the third one for Topo of all the flatter states. Of course, I can carry one of those cheap clear boxes with my eTrex Vista HCx. However, if you open the back cover of the unit, there is soo much more room there between the two batteries. I hoped that Garmin could've left two or three empty slots for storage, however they did not think that far ahead. The only possible place I can see is between the batteries. It looks possible to just grind off the bottom half of the middle ridge on the aluminum cover. THat might give me enough room for one or two cards. Anyone tried something similar? Would that work? Thx. Erwin

powerstroker

I see 99 people looked at my post but no one replied. I guess that no one else have a need for this possible mod. I'll just go ahead grind off the bottom half ridge and see if the card will fit there. I don't really need that beefy back cover anyway (never going to use it on a mountain bike or other high vibration applications).

Boyd

Maybe I don't understand? Personally it seems easier to choose a map from a long menu than to shutdown, open the GPS, swap cards and reboot.  :)

popej

Instead of using cards you can prepare multiple profiles with different maps tuned on. That way you can change maps by changing profiles. This has additional advantage, that you can have different settings for each map that you turn on.

Boyd

I was going to say the same thing, until I read the OP again....

Quote from: powerstroker on December 21, 2013, 05:34:47 PMwith my eTrex Vista HCx.

The new eTrex models have profiles, the old ones don't.  ;)

popej

Somehow I have assumed that this is a new GPS, sorry.

powerstroker

Thx for all the information. I got exited about the profile thing until I saw Boyd's last reply, bommer! I thought Hcx is the latest thing, well at least for me. it's a lot better than my vista which I paid close to 500 many years ago. The Hcx is almost brands new. The guy only used once going to Europe. He let me have it for 100.

As to the length of the list, it's way too long to be practical when it comes to switching maps if you have all the topo from the US. I got the grinding wheel today and going to mod it tonight. Erwin

popej

I'm not sure about HCx but I think you look at list of tiles not maps. Pres menu key while at this list, maybe you will get better options, like select a whole map.

powerstroker

At least this is what I understand. Just like the old (original) Vista, while you're on the map screen, click manu, select set map, select information then you see the list of map segments (lots of them if you have multiple states.)

popej

And then click again menu and what you see?

I don't know Vista but this works on 60CSx. I think you could set general rule for these older device: press menu if any problems ;)

powerstroker

THANKS! I guess that I learn a new trick today. when I push menu again it does give me a list of things, to show or hide different maps. This is very useful. Thx. I guess you never know what other tricks are in there until someone first figure it out. I finished moding the cover. It was much harder than I thought. Have to be really careful not to grind the part you don't want to touch while you only have a very small space to work on.