GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Reducing tile size?

Started by grungeisdead, November 18, 2013, 05:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grungeisdead

First off, thanks to the members out there who produce these maps. You guys are amazing. I recently purchased a Rino 120 as a second radio/map for my wife who will be accompanying me on camping/hunting trips.

Didn't realize at the time how limited the internal capacity is on this thing. Just downloaded the Arizona Topo set and have a problem. Most of the individual "tiles" are too large for the internal capacity of the device.

Was wondering if there's a way to manually scale down the area you're trying to transfer, rather than take the whole "tile". My hunting zone actually straddles two different tiles, so ideally I could select a smaller area that encompasses parts of both.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Boyd

When you use the map tool in Mapsource and drag across the map, you will see all the individual tiles that make the map. These are the smallest units that can be sent to the gps. It is not possible for a user to make the tiles smaller, the mapmaker would have to divide the map into smaller pieces and recompile it.

There are no standard sizes for tiles, it's up to the mapmaker, so you could look for another map that has smaller tiles.

-Oz-

You should be able to fit at least a couple of those tiles on the Rino 120.  I think only one doesn't fit.  That was actually the unit I used to try and decide tile sizes.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

grungeisdead

Thanks for the replies. The area I'm hunting straddles the E5 and F5 tiles. When I attempt the map transfer, the device says free space is just under 8MB, which jives with the published specs.

The E5 tile will transfer as it comes in at 7.64mb.  Unfortunately E5 is only the very north end of where i'll be. The F5 tile is over 8mb and a no-go.

Anyways, appreciate the help but sounds like i'm stuck. Will probably get thru this season and then sell the 120 for a bigger unit or keep it as a backup radio and get something with an expansion slot.

omegaman

If you can find the older version (red case cover) of Garmin Topo 100k maps, the segment tiles are small enough and nice enough to get quite a few on the 120. The sets come up used on Ebay, and are not locked to any device or user as they are the older version. The set I have is the first set I bought years ago. It's version 3.00 and covers the whole USA. Doesn't have quite the detail as the newer maps, but it's not bad for the money. I see a set currently on Ebay for around $20.