GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin Rino 650 map loading issues

Started by ko67, December 28, 2012, 12:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ko67

I recently picked up a Garmin Rino 650 and tried to load a map using the tutorial on this site. I am new to GPS units.

I am trying to load the Northwest topos maps from switchbacks.com.

I am using a Macbook pro. I used the map installer and got it to load on to the GPS unit. When I open the Garmin icon on my desktop, I can see the file. When I disconnect the unit, I cannot pull up the map.

Did I miss a step?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Boyd

I think we will need more info to help. What is the "Garmin Icon"? Did you install Basecamp on your Mac? In Basecamp, can you select and view the map on your computer? Does the map work on the GPS itself? Is it listed in the map setup menu on the GPS?

With the gps connected to your Mac, double-click its icon and then look in the Garmin folder. What files with an .img extension do you see listed there and how large are they?(In the Finder Preferences, make sure the "show all filename extensions" is checked.)

The Switchbacks site also has forums so maybe somebody there can help, since it's one of their maps and is not hosted here at gpsfiledepot. http://www.switchbacks.com/forum/

ko67

Garmin icon = rino shows up as a drive on my desktop.

I do have Basecamp installed and can view the map on my computer. It is listed in the maps tab on basecamp. In basecamp i can't seem to send the map to my GPS unit. When I disconnect my Rino, it is not listed in the map setup menu.

I see only two files with img extensions one is 51MB and the other is 598K.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Edit: I goofed, this is the oregon topo map from this site, not switchbacks.