News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Related question

Started by rpr, October 21, 2012, 08:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpr

Related question...

I have an old version of City Navigator 7 on DVD.

I also just received City Navigator 9 on a micro SD card bundled with my Garmin Edge 800...the micro SD card will not allow me to use it in MapSource to combine with other maps, as noted above.

Is there a work around to be able to use version 9 in MapSource since I already have City Navigator on DVD (version 7) as well as a micro SD card (version 9)?

maps4gps

If you are in a Windows environment, BaseCamp is supposed to be able to display CN when the GPSr is attached. 

It is usually advised NOT to add vector map data to a pre-recorded Garmin SD card.  Garmin will not replace the card if a third party map was added and the pre-recorded data became damaged.

rpr

Understood...what I am trying to do is to create a custom file with City Navigator 9 as the base map with transparent Topo and trail overlays...which could then be exported and saved to a new microSD card using MapSource.

Are you saying I can do this in BaseCamp?

Indrid Cold

No, you can't do that with BaseCamp and your CN maps.

maps4gps

Boyd will likely correct me; however, I think CN is locked to the pre-recorded card.  You can make a backup and restore it to the original Garmin SD card, but it will not work on another card. 
If the Edge 800 also has internal storage usable for maps, you can put the topo and trail overlays there. 
Depending on how current the 'base' map needs to be, CN7 mignt be usable for your purposes; however the recent versions on DVD are supposed to get locked to the first GPSr they are used with so this might not be a option.  If CN7 was usable, you could put it and the overlays (and other maps) on a blank micro memory card.  That is if you can rename the gmapsupp.img file MapSource/BaseCamp creates.  Boyd will likely be able to say more on this.

rpr

Quote from: maps4gps on October 21, 2012, 12:51:24 PM
If the Edge 800 also has internal storage usable for maps, you can put the topo and trail overlays there.

Hmmm...didn't consider this.

Not sure if that's the case, but if so this could work.

Thanks!