GPSFileDepot.com

Need steps to follow on creating an existing maps for garmin gps

Started by MARTIN.NICER, October 15, 2012, 09:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MARTIN.NICER

I am sure there is a list somewhere on how to create a garmin gps map from an existing paper map. My existing paper maps shows numerous roads that I would like to download into my garmin gps. So that when I hike down these trails I know exactly where I am.

So can someone direct me to the steps to follow so that many can benefit from my labors.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
MARTIN

Boyd

What model GPS do you have? The technique shown at that link only works on new devices, such as the Dakota, Oregon, Montana, eTrex 30, etc.

MARTIN.NICER

I just bought a Garmin CS wanted the csx but so does everyone else.  Anyway I frequent a private logging (about 50 miles square give or take) that has paper maps available of all of their roads. I also found internet maps on another web site of the same area that I would like to put on my hand held garmin to know exactly where I am located and to save way points on.

if someone can post the steps for me to follow I will make these maps available for others.

Thanks in advance

Boyd

What is a "CS"? Do you mean GPSMap 60cs? If so, then disregard what babj615 posted. Your device is not compatible with that kind of map.

Unfortunately, for your GPS you cannot use scans of paper maps. It will be rather difficult to make your own maps for your device, although certainly possible if you are good with computers. Have a look at Mapwel, it's probably the easiest software to use: http://www.mapwel.net/

MARTIN.NICER

Yes a Garmin GPSMap 60cs. Thank you mapwel seems like a nice program a bit of a learning curve be doable.

I appreciate you suggestion
martin

Boyd

Glad to help. See if you can find a map of the area you want in GeoTIFF format. If so, then Mapwel can open the map and display it as a background on your computer. You can then use the various tools to trace the features that you want on your map- see: http://www.mapwel.net/manual/0350objdrawing.htm