GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

adding extra img files

Started by gbbickerton, October 11, 2012, 07:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbbickerton

I have used OSM data for GB and used splitter and mkgap to make the img files and then MSTK to install in basecamp which works however when I try to add an img of Forestry Commission forest blocks made from an open data shp file with gpsmapper and installed with MSTK the forest blocks do not show on the map. the img can be installed on its own and work and I have tried assigning different types to the polygons and a different draw order in the type file but cannot get the forest blocks to show in basecamp. can anyone help please.

BB

-Oz-

Are you trying to combine the files on the GPS or in software?  Is one of the files transparent (the OSM data).

Which GPS?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Seldom

All maps must be compiled with the same compiler.  mkgmap and cgpsmapper don't mix.  You can use MSTK to "Install" maps compiled by either, since MSTK is only setting registry settings.  If one is transparent, you could show both as separate mapsets on a GPSr.  If they aren't you are out of luck.

gbbickerton

I use seperate maps on my GPS so no problem there. I think the problem is that I am using MSTK therefore cgsmapper to combine the mkgmap with cgsmapper maps and make the TDB files etc so how do I produce a map from a shp file for use with mkgmap as the compiler and also how do you produce a tdb file and overview map from a collection of img files with mkgmap? if this is not possible what steps are needed to get OSM PBF files into cgpsmapper? I have researched on the internet but have not found the answers to these issues yet.
If MKGMAP and CGPSMAPPER img files are different how does the Garmin software and GPS'S cope with the different types I would have thought that an img file was set to a standard.

BB

maps4gps

Garmin's format is proprietary.  What is known about it was learned by trial and error.
mkgmap and cgpsmapper were reverse engineered.  Some of Garmin's newer models even display their own mapsets differently. 

popej

MSTK uses several ways to create a mapset. You can try to check "blank overview map" or set path to gmaptool. Both options could give you more flexible processing at the cost of preview map details.

Seldom

Quote from: gbbickerton on October 12, 2012, 03:00:28 AM
so how do I produce a map from a shp file for use with mkgmap as the compiler
You can start reading here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shp2osm but I haven't figured out how to get it to work.
and also how do you produce a tdb file and overview map from a collection of img files with mkgmap?
Add the TDB option in the command line.  Read mkgmap help for the correct syntax.

gbbickerton

Thanks for the help I have also discovered that MKgmap can convert mp files to a limited extent