GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GM 14 supports JNX files

Started by Seldom, August 31, 2012, 07:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

Global Mapper V 14 Beta was just released, and it will convert raster graphics to JNX files.  I'd like verify  how well it works and I've set Win7 to open JNX files with BaseCamp (4.0.1).  But when I double click on the JNX, BaseCamp opens, but I can't see the raster graphic I created.  Is there any way to view this homemade JNX in BaseCamp?

Boyd

Better be careful... any posts discussing .jnx files here in the past have been deleted. It is a proprietary Garmin format and you must hack the device firmware to use your own .jnx files. I believe this must be done to circumvent the copy protection scheme (unlock code). So maybe it would also be necessary to hack Basecamp to use your own .jnx files?

Seldom

Apparently, you don't have to hack your firmware.  You just need a current Birdseye subscription.  Mike said he wouldn't export to a format that required a jailbreak.

Boyd

Cool. It's all fine with me, but I'm not a mod here.  ;)

-Oz-

Heh, if its getting supported in GM its definitely not going to be illegal.  However, if someone 'fakes' their subscription that's shady.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

The real need is to be able to view more than the 100 to 500 tile limit for raster data.
There are many data sets, US and world wide, which are more current and detailed than what is in birdseye.  USGS was doing some metro areas at yearly intervals and at least one with resolutions as detailed as 3 inch - yes inch, as in 1/4 foot.