GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Loading maps on 62S on the SD card.

Started by borskies, September 24, 2012, 08:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

borskies

I have a 62S and have been loading topo maps on a SD card. I went to "openstreet.com" and down loaded a routable map and when I uploaded it to the 62S it removed my topo maps? So I reloaded the topo maps and it removes the driving routable maps. I diablaed the maps in the unit before up loading any new ones but that didn't work. Do I need another SD card for topos and driveable maps? I loaded a Colorado topo and thought the openstreet would just lay over the topo. Not so.

Thanks
George

maps4gps

The is normal operation.  Both MapSource and BaseCamp send map data to the GPSrs in a file named gmapsupp.img and will overwrite any existing file by that name.

After sending a mapset to the GPSr, rename the gmapsupp.img file to some appropriate name with a .img extension.  Do this with each mapset sent to the GPSr.

It is a good idea to make a backup copy of all the files which came on the GPSr incase one or more becomes corrupted of deleted.

borskies

I use Basecamp so if I just rename the file once it is on the SD card it will not be over wrote when I try to load another map?

George

Boyd

Yes, you can simply change the name to something else. However, are you running the current version of Basecamp/Mapinstall? If so, it should automatically generate a unique map name if you are connecting the GPS to your computer (as opposed to using a card in a USB reader).

borskies

Yes I'm connecting my gps to my computer but it doesn't generate a name other than what it was downloaded as. Also I am running the latest version on Basecamp and map installer.
George

Boyd

Look in the Garmin folder on both the memory card and GPS itself. What .img files do you see there?

borskies

I have to look at it when I get home later.
Thank you for you response.
George