GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How to upload maps to GPSMAP2006

Started by Trav78, September 22, 2012, 08:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trav78

I have a GPSMAP2006 and i have been trying to upload maps to it, i have so bar bought 2 data cards one being a 512mb which i was told would work, since then i have been told that it wont, i have bought a 256mb card, i have tried more then several times using the data card programmer and mapsource to load 1 or 2 small sections of maps on to the data card to which it says it was succesful in doing so, when i go out to the the gps unit in the car and put the data card in it never seems to find it, what am i doing wrong, can someone help?

Boyd

I have never seen one of these, but the manual is here: http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GPSMAP2006_2006C_OwnersManual.pdf

I just flipped through it quickly, but I don't see any indication that this device is compatible with Mapsource, and don't see any mention of the ability to load your own maps on a data card. It may be that this unit can only use maps provided by Garmin.

Trav78

Hey thanks for the reply, I definately know it can be done, but lucky me is havin trouble doing so, ill keep researching and hopefully something works.

maps4gps

Is not that a 10+ year old marine unit?  Few, if any, on this forum would be familiar with such a unit.  Likely the best source on info on it would be Garmin's tech support (they did receive someone's money in selling their product).  Also pursue the card issue with those telling you it would work and from wherever you know it can be done as someone may have done some 'hack' to get it to work.

A post about 2 years ago, mentioned that the older marine units require different data cards from those used by the hand-held GPSrs - these were Garmin proprietary cards of small capacity and expensive).   I would not expect MapSource to work with such a unit as it was designed for hand-held GPSr about 5-6 years ago.

Boyd

Quote from: Trav78 on September 22, 2012, 11:41:48 PM
I definately know it can be done

How do you know this? Take a look at one of Garmin's own products, US Topo 100k here: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=28229

Click on the "Compatible Devices" tab, then click on "View disk compatible products". There's a huge list of GPSMap series devices shown. But the GPSMap 2006 isn't one of them. To me, this implies that it can't be done. Garmin wants to sell you maps, so if a topo map would work on your device I don't know why they wouldn't list it as compatible.

As maps4gps suggested, contact Garmin support here: http://www.garmin.com/us/support/contact

They are not likely to give you any help with GPSFileDepot maps though. But you could ask if it's possible to install one of Garmin's own topo products, such as Topo US 100k. If so, then you should be able to install the maps from GPSFileDepot in the same manner.

skidmark

Your unit may have a 128MB limit for the data card. The GPSMAP2006 was not listed but the GPSMAP2006C is listed.

Was not able to post the link so here is some info from Garmin's FAQ.

03/01/2011

Older versions of Inland Lakes mapping could be preloaded on a proprietary Garmin Data Card. These Garmin Data Card versions are now discontinued and no newer versions will be made. The versions that were preloaded to the Garmin Data Card were programmed on a 256MB data card. Some devices are only compatible with a Garmin Data Card with up to 128MB of space. This means that the preprogrammed Inland Lakes cards cannot be used. These devices are:
◦GPSMAP 172/172c
◦GPSMAP 178/178c
◦GPSMAP 182/182c
◦GPSMAP 188/188c
◦GPSMAP 232
◦GPSMAP 2006c
◦GPSMAP 2010c
◦GPSMAP 2106
◦GPSMAP 2110

Mark