GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

map manager

Started by medic198, September 01, 2012, 03:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

medic198

I have installed map manager and installer twice now. When I download a map it shows up as the right file and goes to map manager and says it is unlocked and available. Base camp does not recognize it and there is no way I can see to get that file moved into base camp. Map install also recognizes my unit (450t) but it shows "no unlocked maps to install"
I am pretty new at this and am using the latest up to date mac version.

Boyd

In the MapManager window, what does it show as the Installed Location for the map? If your user account on the Mac is "Joe" and the map is named "Topo" the location would be

/Users/Joe/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps/Topo.gmap

If this is the case, there is nothing further that you can do. If the map is not showing up in Basecamp, there must be a problem with it. You don't "open" maps in Basecamp, they must be installed with MapManager. In Basecamp, look at the Maps menu. Are you sure it is not listed there? It might not have the same name you were expecting.  From the Maps menu in Basecamp, choose "Installed maps info....". This should present you with the same kind of window you saw in MapManager and will list all the maps that are installed.

In this window (or using MapManager), select the map and click the "Reveal in Finder" button. That will open up a finder window listing all the installed maps. Click on the map file ("Topo.gmap" in my example above) and choose Get Info from the Finder File Menu. How large is the map? Perhaps that will give some clue as to whether the file is corrupt (if it's too small, for example).

Indrid Cold

Quote from: medic198 on September 01, 2012, 03:18:08 PM
I have installed map manager and installer twice now...
Here's the thing, without knowing what version you are calling the latest it's hard to give you detailed instructions.

BaseCamp for Macintosh v4.01 on an Intel system will be different that a PPC running BaseCamp v2.1.2, both are considered the latest version. You shouldn't need to install MapManager or MapInstall with v4.01 as they are bundled with the installer and if you are just installing and using older versions, this could be your problem.

So, to get detailed help, you need to provide detailed information or people will just be pinning the tail on your donkey.

trinityalper

I am another newbie struggling with the same problem. I have downloaded Basecamp for mac (version 4.0.1.0). As mentioned above, it downloaded with Map Manager 3.0.1. I downloaded a few California Topo maps including CaTopo11, CA Wildernesses, and CA My trails. I installed these maps with Map Manager, and they appear in map manager with a stated version of 1.0. The status of all three is unlocked and the file location matches the format stated above "/Users/Joe/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps/Topo.gmap"..

But, I cannot get these maps to appear in Basecamp. The only map that appears in basecamp under the "Maps" menu is the "Global Map" that came with the Basecamp download, NOT my other three maps I've downloaded. I did notice that when I click the installed maps info button under the Maps menu, the Version for the Global maps is version 2.0, which does not match the version 1.0 I see in Map Manager.

What do I need to do to see the Maps I've downloaded in Basecamp? Any help/advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

trinityalper

Ignore my last post. I closed Basecamp, restarted my computer, and now all the maps are showing up. Hope this helps others?

babj615

Quote from: trinityalper on September 09, 2012, 02:26:50 PM
Ignore my last post. I closed Basecamp, restarted my computer, and now all the maps are showing up. Hope this helps others?

All you needed to do was restart BaseCamp :)
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador