GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

My 60 CSx isn't showing my maps.

Started by rick barclay, September 06, 2012, 03:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick barclay

Sorry for this, but I'm at my wit's end. I have a 60 CSx. I have Garmin Trip and Waypoint
software installed on my pc. I have transferred U.S. Topo 2008 maps from the Waypoint
manager to a 4 gig micro SD card, and then re-inserterted the card back to the 60SCx.
The maps do not show up on my Garmin device. I checked the map setup menu and
the only map listed there is a Marine Base Camp map, which I assume is the default
map for the device. I have tried several different methods of installing maps to my
60CSx to no avail.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? The basemap on these thing, as
everyone seems to know, is next to worthless.

Basically, what I want to know is how to get the map data that I copy to my micro SD
card to show up as a map on my CSx 60.

Thanks much for your assistance.

Boyd

I think Trip and Waypoint Manager is a stripped down version of Mapsource. Mapsource has been discontinued but is still available here. Download and install: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Then follow this tutorial to install US Topo: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Seldom

rick, your OP doesn't make it clear if you understand the following, so I'm adding it as background.

In order to be read by your 60csx, the map must be named gmapsupp.img, and it must be in the \Garmin folder on your microSD card.  The maps must be sent to the card by Trip & Waypoint manager, or MapSource, or BaseCamp, because they add information to the gmapsupp.img that isn't in the original map IMG files.

rick barclay

Thanks for your replies, guys.

First, I checked the micro sd card in the unit. It has a folder named Garmin and inside
the folder is a 4.6 mb file named "gmapsupp.img." The 4.6 mb file should contain the
imagery I copied from the waypoint manager and sent to the gps device. That's the
way I assume the unit is supposed to work. But the maps I copied are not showing up
when I turn on the 60CSx. It's kind of strange because I can upload waypoints, but they
appear as flags in the middle of nowhere.

To answer Boyd: I will install Mapsource (the waypoint mgr. I installed placed an icon
on my desktop with the name "Mapsource"), follow the tutorial and see what happens.
I'll get back to you on that.

Thanks again.

Seldom

Make sure your card is seated properly.  Nothing will show if it's loose.  Also, check that you have your detail settings on the device set to high or highest.

rick barclay

I installed Mapsource. Same result. No maps showing.

I have also tried several times to copy the maps while the SD card is seated within the
GPS device, and I get this error message each time, "The required memory for storing
maps is missing from you GPS. If your GPS uses a programmable data card, check to
make sure it is inserted properly."

I've fiddled with the card a few times, making sure the card contacts are touching the
GPS contacts. Frankly, I think it's harder to insert the card improperly than it is to insert it
properly. The card fits snugly within the slot and the contacts are making contact.
You don't think maybe there's a problem with the GPS card slot, itself, do you?

rick barclay

Well, apparently I was doing something wrong when I was fiddling around with the
card and batteries.

I my desperation, I inserted the card and held it in place while I turned the GPS on without
the batteries but plugged into the computer. Well, I'll be dipped! MAPs! With details! After
a couple of tries, I got the batteries in without losing the maps. Now what I need to do
is add more maps. I'm gonna try it with the card in the GPS and see what happens.

Voila! I think it worked; at least it said it did. Touchy bastard!

Please, if you don't mind, answer me one (hopefully) last question: I'm installing the maps
piecemeal. If I do my copying and turn the GPS off; the next time I copy a map, will the
new added map add itself to the gmapsupp.img file, or will it overwrite and destroy the
previously copied maps?

Thanks for your patience and help.

Boyd

Make sure that the sliding metal cover is in the locked position after inserting the card.

The 60csx will only recognize one map file (gmapsupp.img). Each time you send a map or group of maps, the old gmapsupp.img file is erased and replaced by the new one. You must choose all the maps you want in Mapsource, then send them in one bundle.

maps4gps

It is the 'sliding metal cover' that Boyd mentioned that holds the micro memory in the proper place; not the batteries.  The unit will operate with power thru the USB cable without having batteries installed. 

See the tutorial Boyd refered you to earlier; it explains how to include data from more than one mapset in a single gmapsupp.img file (step 8, which says to repeat steps 2-7).

Garmin uses an .img extension for their vector (coordinate pairs) map data.  These are not raster image files (photo, etc.) as that extension is normally used by the rest of the digital world.