GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How do I enter my location in my NUVI50LM?

Started by Fish Addict, July 30, 2012, 02:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish Addict

I recently purchased a NUVI 50LM for my SUV.  I like the unit but some of the local addresses do not show up even if entered manually.  I have tried different approaches to enter them using street name, road name, US HWY #, and in every case the same.  No such address.  I would like to be able to enter (if possiple) the place where I am since I go there often.  My wife cannot remember addresses and this would be an aid for her.  I think it would be similar to marking a waypoint on my Etrex.   Any help would be appreciated.   ALSO.. Can I add FLTOPO to the NUVI50??

Boyd

I have not used a Nuvi 50, but on other recent models you would just tap the "vehicle" icon on the map screen. That should bring up a "where am I" screen with various information, including your coordinates. There should be a save button on that screen. Tapping it will save your location as a "favorite", which is what Garmin calls a waypoint on the Nuvi. Now that assumes you are actually at the location you want to save.

Topo maps should work fine on your Nuvi, but they may look ugly and not show all the features that you would see on a handheld.

Fish Addict

Thanks...  I think I'll forego the topo maps.

Fish Addict

THanks for the info Boyd.
I don't have a WHERE AM I in the favorites.  It wants me to input an address.. then its not accepted as valid.  It is a business thats been there for 30 + years.

Don't know what to do now...

Boyd

I think you are doing something wrong. From the map screen, tap the icon that represents your car. That should bring up a window that says "Where am I". If that isn't happening, then you aren't tapping the icon correctly. Try again, it can be tricky sometimes.

This is covered in your manual on page 14 under the heading "Viewing current location information": http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/nuvi_30_40_50_EN_OM.pdf

That screen should have a save button on it.

Fish Addict

Thanks Boyd,

After I sent the item to you I found it in my manual.  I think I have it now....

THanks again...