GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How do I change Current Location on my GPS Etrex Vista HcX

Started by Fish Addict, May 01, 2012, 07:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish Addict

I have asked this question in various ways before and no one seems to understand my question.  I have indulged several knowledgeable users and they didn't have an answer either.  So Here goes;  I have an Etrex Vista HcX and I like it.  When I first got the unit and applied power to it I was instructed to insert my CURRENT LOCATION.  The unit did so automatically.  Next I entered known waypoints into the unit.  I currently have about 40 waypoints.  I fish from an kayak and it is very important that I return to my launch point.  When I launch I MARK my location and set it to TRACK.  (So far so good)   
When I look at the WAYPOINTS screen, at the bottom it tells me how far I am from my current location when I highlight a marked waypoint.  Understand that I am no longer at my current location.  For example I am sitting in my kayak at a friend's dock and the unit tells me I am 3.48 miles from my current location.  Since I am sitting at that dock isn't it my current location?  NO!  It is the location where I first set up the GPS unit.  Can someone please tell me how to change my current location  to where I really am rather than where I was when I set up the unit? 

I like to launch from roadside entry points along canals and estuaries.  They are not boat launches and there are mazes of canals, some dead end, that are traversed while fishing.  I use the tracking method to get back to the launch and that helps but I need to know how far I am from the launch point. I presently have no idea.  I could then work my way back without the long paddle if I knew where it was.

Horse Rider

I'll take a stab at this.  I've never owned a Vista HCX but I believe it is similar to my old 60 CSX.  When you first got the gps you probably were at home init sats and marked that location as "current". On the waypoint page is there one named Home or Current Location.  You can always change the name or delete if you wish.  I wonder that at the very start while you were at home you tried a tracbax or goto and never "stopped Navigating". With the map page open , press menu and see if there is a choice to "Stop Navigating" and if so select it. I know this sounds basic but sometimes you can overlook the obvious.  When you mark a launchpoint and name it "something", when you want to go back there select "Find" "Waypoint" "Something" and then "Goto".  Just and idea, hope it helps.

Fish Addict

Thanks Horserider.   You made me think and Yeah I did overlook the obvious.  WHat you said is true.  I will try that on my next venture in the Kayak.  I will be launching at a known location and I know the way back to that launch.. Thanks again. 

Fish Addict

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Back from my Kayak adventure.  Cleared up the matter of current location.  It really was simple once I looked it over. 

After launch and turning on TRACKING, we travelled around to our fishin spots. When we returned I turned TRACKING Off.  then saved that track.  It of course had the track from initial setup at home.  I then imported the GPS info into Basecamp and renamed to one I wanted.  I then edited out the track from HOME to the Launch. 

I then deleted everything from the GPS and then put that revised file into the GPS.  WALLAH ....

I'm still learning Basecamp and switching back and forth with Mapsource ...  Some things are still not easy to do in Basecamp.

Thanks to everyone for helping.

Another Newbie