News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

WIndows 7 .reg value different than XP?

Started by yogazoo, April 29, 2012, 02:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yogazoo

Hello Mapmakers,

I'm experiencing an issue making installer files for maps since I switched to a Windows 7 machine. The registry file that Mapsettoolkit makes for Windows 7 seems to be incompatible with XP. When I compile the installer in Windows 7 it doesn't install correctly on XP. The gipper is that when I compiled on my XP machine my maps installed perfectly on Windows 7 machines. Anyone experience this and come up with an easy solution? I bought the personal version of cGPSmapper and it's licensed to my machine only or else I'd use someones XP machine.

It's getting to the point, with Basecamp reading map files right from your GPS, that installers might become unnecessary in the near future. Boy would it be much easier to simply upload an ".img" file!!! :)

Boyd

Haha, I suggested that technique awhile ago for directly reading .img files and it got a frosty reception. Some people apparently feel this is a "hack" that Garmin doesn't want anyone else to use.

Have you tested your maps on both the 64 and 32 bit version of Windows 7. The 64 bit version breaks some maps because it uses different registry keys. The 32 bit version doesn't have this problem, and the 64 bit version of Vista doesn't have the problem either, just Win 7/64.

Have you seen this long thread. Quite a lot of it concerns using Garmin's new "gmap" format which is cross platform capable. But you will also find Oz's updated NSIS installer file the fixes the problem with 64 bit WIndows 7. http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,2383.0.html

yogazoo

Thanks Boyd. Very helpful. I'll tinker around with the registry values and try to come up with something that works on XP machines.

That said, I don't think that sharing "Map.img" files would be that big of deal. As long as nothing in the .img file contained proprietary data.