GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Mapsettoolkit

Started by Horse Rider, April 18, 2012, 07:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horse Rider

I just did a clean install(Win 7/64) and after installing all my programs and getting back up to speed I tried to uninstall a map from Basecamp with Mapsettoolkit and it wouldn't uninstall until I opened Mapsettoolkit as administrator. My user account is administrator as it was before the new install and it never did this before.  Just thought I would pass it on in case anyone else had this problem.  One other thing, I've been using JaVaWa Mapconverter to make and install .gmap instead of using registry.  You still have to run mapsettoolkit but not use it to intall in mapsource.  Unlike Garmin's mapconverter it doesn't have to be in the registry to work.  Probably old news to some but I thought I'd pass it on.
     Horse Rider

Seldom

Quote from: Horse Rider on April 18, 2012, 07:21:13 AM
One other thing, I've been using JaVaWa Mapconverter to make and install .gmap instead of using registry.  You still have to run mapsettoolkit but not use it to intall in mapsource.

Could you elaborate on this?  Not sure why you would use mapsettoolkit unless you were installing in mapsource.  Unless of course you were just using it to launch cgpsmapper to generate IMG, TDB, etc.

Horse Rider

Seldom,
  You're right, I just use mapsettoolkit to generate the other files.  I should have stated that.  I've been using Mapwel for a couple years and use mapsettoolkit for .tdb, etc and was using it to install in Mapsource until I came across JaVaWa. It seems that .gmap is the way of the future and making changes to your .img file and dropping it back in the folder is just as easy and maybe less troublesome as using registry.  Any ideas on the administrator part?

Seldom

The reason I asked was that I do all the compiles from batch files, and just use MapSetToolKit ot "Install".

The adminstrator business never happens for me. (Win7-64-Pro).  Whenever the system gets paranoid and ask me if I want to let some application I trust, but it doesn't make changes to my computer I always uncheck the "always give this warning" box at the bottom left of the warning dialog.  That might help.  I've never had to "run as administrator" for MapSetToolKit.

Horse Rider

I've never had to run MSTK with admin rights before either.  It will install a map without them but it won't remove one without admin rights.  I installed a SSD this week and that was the reason for the clean install of OS but I have the old hard drive (same OS) and booted off of it yesterday and checked all my settings and they are all what I have on the SSD as far as I can tell.  I don't know, maybe I'm overlooking something.  Thanks for your reply Seldom

Seldom

Quote from: Horse Rider on April 19, 2012, 07:55:15 AM
It will install a map without them but it won't remove one without admin rights.
I'm able to install or uninstall without invoking Admin rights. Dumb question, but you have given yourself administrator privileges haven't you?

Horse Rider