GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

how many gb to make a state map

Started by Carl.h, April 13, 2009, 02:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl.h

I was using the tutorial on this site to make a Colorado topo.  The dem folder is 23 gb, transportation folder is 1.3 gb.   Thats as far as i've gone.  but i'm running low on space. Anybody no how much more i'll need to finish the map. 

Will this map be any different than the finished colorado topo downloaded off of this site?  The finished map is great, but i wanted to try to add surface management if there is a way, like the blm's geocommunicator.

Thanks, Carl 

maps4gps

Carl,

Your numbers seem somewhat high.  10mNED data for CO should be under 10Gb compressed and probably 15Gb uncompressed.  Transportation, if from Census also seams high, but may be OK if uncompressed and more than just the edges file.  What will you use for hydro?  I am not sure how much you will need for intermedate files during processing as I learned with GlobalMapper before Oz developed topoprocess.  Final CO map should be under 200Mb but most of the file size should be in the contours and depends on the contour interval you decide to use.
The more space the programs have for internal scratch storage the better.

Different than the IndyJpr CO map?  Compare your data sources with what he used.  An 'easy' way to add surface management might be to create an overlay of that data.  I believe you would need to create a custom type so the other map data would show beneath the s.m. polygon data.
See Boyd's nice examples http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,152.0.html   

Carl.h

Yes the IndyJpr map.   I think i'm just replicating that.  Back in November i had time to kill so started this, no idea what i was getting into.  I wasnt sure if I did something wrong to have such a large dem folder, glancing over the combine and compile tutorials I didnt see where any of that data gets deleted.   Glad to know at some point this will be scaled down to 200mb. thanks for the info.

Carl 

-Oz-

Yea, it will definitely get small.  arizona when I started processing was about 25gb (dem, nhd, .mp files, etc).
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!