GPSFileDepot.com

Transferring maps into SD card slows down the processing time

Started by henry001, March 07, 2012, 12:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henry001

Hello

I am a totally newbie to GPS equipment. I started using Garmin Etrex Vista HCX a week ago. I thought downloading topo maps would be nice, so instead of purchasing them from Garmin, I downloaded some of tha maps available from GPSfileDepot, such as California/Utah/Arizona topo maps using BaseCamp.

I was able to see the detailed maps in my GPS through SD card, however, it really slows down the speed of processing maps when I magnified or shrinked each map. Is there any way to process them faster, or if I purchase retailed maps from Garmin, does it make any difference?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Seldom

What levels are you zooming to and from?

Try reducing the detail level, and keeping the zoom level constant while you are traveling.  Zooms that re-draw a lot of contours and other detail take longer than zooms that require less re-drawing time.  Also, I wouldn't blame the card.  I'm pretty sure card access is the least of the issues.

Re. if Garmin's proprietary maps are faster, you'll have to try them yourself.  I don't know of any comparison data that's been posted.  Before you  spend any money see if you can find other topos of your area on this site and compare them.  Different map authors may have different settings that affect zooms.

Boyd

The more detail a map has, the longer it takes to draw on the screen. Your eTrex is an old model with a slower processor than newer models like the Oregon, Montana, etc.

You will also find that setting the unit for North-up instead of track-up mode will help (if you haven't already done so). Also, if you have loaded more than one map, be sure that only one is enabled.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on March 08, 2012, 05:16:01 AM
You will also find that setting the unit for North-up instead of track-up mode will help (if you haven't already done so). Also, if you have loaded more than one map, be sure that only one is enabled.
Good point.  If you have it set to "Track Up" the map will try to redraw everytime your travel direction changes, a bad thing on a curvy foot path.