News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Basecamp on Macbook

Started by johnsawyer, February 13, 2012, 02:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsawyer

Hi All

I am hoping someone can help me, I used to use Mapsource (windows) with all my gps units and maps, but have moved to a mac and installed Basecamp.  After googling around I simply cannot find any information about how i can use the mapsource maps from the pc on basecamp on my mac.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks in advance

John

Boyd

Garmin has a program "Mapconverter" that will convert your Windows maps to the .gmap format that is universal and works on both platforms. You need to run this program on your Windows machine where the maps are installed, then copy them to your mac using a flash drive or network: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3898

As long as Basecamp is installed on your Mac, double-clicking the .gmapi files from Mapconverter will open MapManager and install them on your system.

johnsawyer

Great, thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks Boyd

johnsawyer

Hi Boyd

Just ran it, it helps, but not exactly what i am looking for. It is converting the way points and mapping i have on the actual gps units. I am looking at trying to get the southern africa street maps and topological maps across.

Any idea on that?

Thanks

John

maps4gps

That does not sound correct; however. I only use it to create a MAC version of new mapsets.
Did you try the obvious of running it with the GPSr disconnected from the PC? 

Boyd

Sorry, I have no idea what is happening. That program's only purpose is to convert the Windows version of maps to Mac versions. It should do exactly what you want if you followed the instructions. It does not "convert the way points and mapping i have on the actual gps units". It takes the maps that are installed on your Windows computer and puts them in the correct format to install on your mac in Basecamp. I have both Macs and PC's and have used this program many times with no problem.

You must have a Windows PC with maps that are installed in Mapsource to use it. It cannot convert maps that are only installed on the GPS. If you don't have a Windows PC that already has the maps installed, that program cannot help you.

The only reason I can think of why it wouldn't work would be if the maps on your Windows machine are already in the .gmap format. If so, then the files could just be copied directly to the Mac. What operating system are your running on the PC (Windows 7, XP or Vista)? What maps are installed? When you run Mapconverter, does it tell you what maps are installed on the Windows machine?