GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Trouble combining WA and OR topod

Started by gsali, January 29, 2012, 12:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsali

I'm having trouble combining the new WA and OR topos (downloaded from GPSFileDepot) with MapSetToolKit.  The old WA topo combined just fine, but the new one does not.  There are several img files that are in both sets, so I just left out duplicated ones so I would not get duplicate file names in the folder I was using to combine them.  I had an old set that combined ID, WA, OR, NV, WY and MT.  When I updated with the new maps, I lost the old versions that would combine.  BTW, is there a limit to how large a file can be read on a GPSmap 60CSx?  Thanks in advance for any help.

maps4gps

You should NOT be using MapSetToolKit.  All these mapsets come a self installers.
Yes there are limits.  I think it was 4000 segments and 4Gb file size - but may have been 2000 segments and 2Gb.  It's been a long time since I used my 76csx.

Boyd

Older units have a limit of 2025 map segments. To combine two maps, in Mapsource choose all or part of the first map with the map tool. Then use the dropdown menu to select the second map and choose the parts of it that you want with the map tool. In the left window pane you will see a list of all the individual tiles you have chosen. Now just send everything to your GPS as a group.

Seldom

gsali, what do you mean "combine"?  Why did you need to use MapSetToolKit?

gsali

I was trying to build a map that has all the northwest states.  I was able to copy all tyhe img files from the downloaded state sets and put them into a new folder, name it with a new name, select Install in he options box and then hit start.  The result was a new map of the NW with all the dat from each state.  After downloading the new WA map I attempted the same thing, but the process would not finish.

Boyd

You should not be using MapsetToolkit for this. That program is intended for people who make their own maps and want to install them in Mapsource.

Mapsource does what you want - see my post above.

maps4gps

QuoteI was trying to build a map that has all the northwest states.

Then you should learn how to build one from publically available source data.
If Garmin intended you to view more than one mapset at a time, they would allow MapSource/BaseCamp to do so.  Third party map authors intend you to use their mapsets as Garmin intended and the use agreement may limit you to doing so.

This website is not intended for discussions on how to get around normal use of mapsets nor problems you may encounter when you try to do so.

gsali

Thanks Boyd, I think tha did what I wanted

gsali

I may be wrong, but I thought the maps available free on GPSFileDepot (such as the one for Idaho) were publicly available.  I wasn't trying to abuse the resource, I was just trying to get a map that worked across state borders.

Boyd

I think it will be hard to create a seamless map that crosses borders between two separate maps on this site (especially from different authors), unless they were constructed in a way that specifically allowed for that. There will usually be overlap along the edges that will produce undesirable results like blank areas.

But Mapsource was intended to allow you to choose whatever individual tiles you want from separate maps and send them all to your gps. If you enable both maps on the GPS, that will make all of these tiles visible and you'll just have to see what it looks like along the borders. The end result would be no different if you used MapsetToolkit to combine the tiles.

Now, if you were to actually "disassemble" the maps you downloaded and turned the data into something else, then most authors here wouldn't be happy with that. But from what you've said, I'm assuming that isn't what you're trying to do.

maps4gps

The following is meant as much for general info for others as it is for this thread.

The mapsets being made available to the public for free and constructed from publicly available source data are an intellectual creation and as such are cover by international copyright laws, etc.  Most, if not all, mapsets grant the user a licence to use the mapset within limits and the user agrees to do so when they proceeded to install the mapset.  I do not speak for the other map authors; however, I have tried to be liberal in usage to allow for unanticipated, but useful, usage; i.e. for MS/BC to display an overlay mapset with a 'base' map as Garmin software does not currently let either program display more than one mapset at a time.  However, it is the policy (and I agree) of gpsfiledepot to not discuss procedures on how to do so as there could be negative effects on the availablilty of third part authored mapsets.

QuoteI wasn't trying to abuse the resource ...
By your first post this was far from clear as their is no need for anyone to use MSTK to use a mapset downloaded from here to view and transfer the map data to their Garmin GPSr.  How to have data from more than one mapset on a GPSr is explained in a tutorial and has been the subject of many previous posts.

We, at least I, gave you the benifit of the doubt.  Three map authors replied that you did not need to use MSTK and/or should use MS.  Your reply, IMHO, indicated you were border-line on the 'use limitations' on the mapsets, hence my second reply.

Mapsets by different authors will varry.  There are no rules nor guidelines.  Garmin provides us no information.  To date, we do not even exist, despite the hundreds of hours of assistence we provide on even the basics of using their GPSsr and mapsets.  What works, individuals have found by countless hours of 'trial and error'.   Garmin has become inconsistent on how items display on their numerous models and sometime even between 'software' versions, both on the GPSr and computer.  Add the various software programs we use to create the mapsets, each doing their processing in an undocumented manner, and it is not surprising there are issues at mapset borders. 

FYI and others -  I usually process/build the 48 States as one 'set.  The appropriate .img files are then 'packaged' into a mapset for a State.  Hence, some .img files are included in more than one State mapset.  When I tested (three years ago), MapSource would list and count each instance; however, only one was included in the gmapsupp.img file sent to the GPSr/micro card.  However, the GPSr only associated the .img file/quad with one of the States, and 'hiding' the mapset for one State may 'turn off' the data for that quad in the adjacent State(s).  I never tested for consistency of which State an .img file is associated with.

WA & OR worked 'seamless' on my OR300 when tested last spring.  I have sometimes observed a foot or two overlap on some line segments at quad boundaries; however, this appears to be an issue with GlobalMapper 'trimming' files and/or cgpsmapper 'snapping' the data to valid coordinates for the bit-level being used. 

Sorry for the long post and getting off the original subject; however, it was an opportunity to share some information with others.

DesertCruiser

This is the reason I like the way Seldom put his Desert Southwest map together -- with the exception that it does not go south to the Mexican border. It covers several states in the southwest and is nice because of this. A map of the whole southwest would be great, but there is an easy work around.
I use several micro SD cards and load maps on to them, mark them then I can change them when going to a different area, isn't this the easiest way? They are cheap now, the cards that is.
Don...
"A picture is worth a thousand words"
"Some pictures leave you speechless"

Seldom

Quote from: DesertCruiser on February 03, 2012, 12:02:03 PM
This is the reason I like the way Seldom put his Desert Southwest map together -- with the exception that it does not go south to the Mexican border.

MapSource and BaseCamp can only show a single "product" at a time and can only route across contiguous areas of a single "product" AFAIK.  That's why my map doesn't follow state lines and is rectangular.  I made it to include the parks I plan to visit.

maps4gps

As Seldom mentioned, he created Desert SW to include areas he is interested in; your interest extends to include areas further south; others would like SW' WY and S' ID included with Utah; etc. etc.  No one mapset would meet the needs of everyone. 

I prefer working with quads; OZ suggests States as people usually know which State they live in.  I have found that all to many people do not even know which States are adjacent to the one they live in.  Remember that the larger an area included, the larger the mapset which needs to be downloaded and installed on the computer.  What is a convience for one may be a PITA for another. 

-----

How many mapsets covering the same area are rellay necessary?  It becomes confusing for the newbie and uploading a PC and a MAC version doubles the time to share and web storage space. 

Previous to last spring, the topographic mapsets for the 11 western States had been made by 5(+) different map authors, and that does not include 2 'regionals'. 

DesertCruiser

Thanks for the education, of course not knowing how to build maps, well I didn't realize. As for me, Seldom's map covers a lot of the areas of my interest, there are a lot of our readers however who like the southern parts of Arizona and California. They have the links to the maps for those areas, I just meant it'd be nice to have them all in one. But I can see where the problems might rise. I have a fast cable connection and a super fast mulitcore computer, so it doesn't slow anything down. And with MapSource I can easily switch and load maps on MSD cards for the E-trex. Thanks again for the explanation.
Don...
"A picture is worth a thousand words"
"Some pictures leave you speechless"