GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

MapSource update

Started by DesertCruiser, January 16, 2012, 11:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertCruiser

I currently am running version 6.15.11 in MapSource. I see there is an update available to version 6.16.3  I hate to update if everything is working fine, which it is. For what I use it for it's been flawless and stable. Are there any reasons to not update? Any negatives included with this update? I saw that Seldom is running the latest version. What do you think?

Don...
"A picture is worth a thousand words"
"Some pictures leave you speechless"

DesertCruiser

Sorry but one other thing, does this update allow you to open more than one of your separate topo tracks into the same map?  Or does it overwrite the first track and only open one?

Boyd

In version 6.14.1, Garmin added support for the new gmap format. Beyond that, IIRC most of the changes were bug fixes and compatibility for Windows 7. Older versions don't work correctly with Windows 7, but not sure where the fix came.

Mapsource has been discontinued though, so 6.16.3 is the end of the line. Are you running Windows 7? If not, and if you plan to upgrade eventually, you might want to move to the final version for future compatibility.

Otherwise, "if it ain't broke....". No version of Mapsource allows opening multiple track files. You need to open them in separate instances and paste them together.

DesertCruiser

Thanks Boyd:  I am running Windows 7 64 bit and the version I have works great with that, so I'm going to think about the upgrade. It probably won't hurt a thing.

As for the viewing of multiple maps in MapSource, I did put up a page on our site to show others how to accomplish this, as I'm sure some don't have a clue and would like to see all the tracks for one area at one time. Here's the link to that if anyone is interested.
http://www.in-the-desert.com/garmintracks2.html

Thanks for the reply,
Don....

-Oz-

Don: Yea getting all the tracks open is a trick in MapSource.  Learned it while putting ski trail tracks together.  Best part is I use the same method (copy and paste).
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!