GPSFileDepot.com

MapSetTookit Tutorial Misses some problem areas.

Started by Seldom, December 09, 2011, 02:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

1)MapSetToolkit only works with mkgmap compiled IMG files IF you already have a TDB file.  cgpsmapper won't compile TDB from mkgmap compiled IMG.

2)I don't know (and would rather not find out) what MSTK does with MapWel compiled maps.
Boyd, you may be interested to know that the US NFS has at least one MapWel compiled IMG file available at Dixie National Forest GIS

MichaelJ07

Seldom, this post reads to my lay brain like an astrophysicist talking to paleontologist in the presence of a geologist and biometrics engineer!

Good luck with your quest!

Mike
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Seldom

Which of those are you?  I've got some dinosaurs I need to track across a thrust fault.

Item 1 applies to IMG files downloaded from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ or other sites that use that compiler.

Item 2 is a cry for help, but I suspect Boyd has a life preserver on that one.

Boyd

Haven't used Mapwel in quite awhile to generate .img files. I found it useful to vectorize Landsat imagery awhile ago, but I exported it as .mp files so I could open in Globalmapper.

Last time I looked, each individual Mapwel tile is bound to a custom .typ file (if you drop it into sendmap 20 you will see and .img file and a .typ file). I think they can be used with MSTK if you follow the right procedure, but I never needed to.

Actually just took a quick look at the Mapwel Yahoo group and there's a current question on this. Somebody replied to use the .img file tutorial from GPSFileDepot.  ;)

Boyd

Heh, just searched the mapwel forum, and the answer (from the developer) is to RTFM.  :)

In Mapwel go to Help > Troubleshoot > How to use IMG files with MSTK. So I learned something here... there's an option NOT to bind the .typ file to the .img file in Mapwel, and you can also export the custom .typ file as .txt for compilation with cgpsmapper. Cool. Gives me another way to create custom types that I didn't know I had.  8)

QuoteHow to use IMG file from Mapwel with Mapset Toolkit?

To make map in IMG format exported from Mapwel compatible with Mapset Toolkit, you have to do the following:

Use main menu >File >Properties > Map ID tab to set user defined ID to map. Check 'User Defined' option and insert some 8 digits map ID number. This number must be unique among all maps in GPS. Check the 'Use as a file name' option.

On the same tab check the 'User Defined' map set data option. Select some Map Family ID and Product ID.

Uncheck 'User Defined Styles' in the map parameters tab in the same window to avoid merging of user styles file to the main map file. If you want to use user defined styles with your map, export styles into TYP.txt file with use of main menu > Objects > User Defined Styles > File.

Make sure that map has 'Background Area' object which defines the shape of the map. If there is no such object, draw it manually. It can have irregular shape or it can be just rectangle.

Export map into IMG file format.

Load IMG file to Mapset Toolkit. Load TYP.txt file into respective box. Previous steps were made to ensure compatibility with Mapset Toolkit, which should be achieved at this point.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Seldom on December 09, 2011, 03:15:13 PM
I've got some dinosaurs I need to track across a thrust fault.
Um, track what? Heading to Jurassic Park?

Seldom

Quote from: Indrid Cold on December 09, 2011, 04:50:11 PM
Quote from: Seldom on December 09, 2011, 03:15:13 PM
I've got some dinosaurs I need to track across a thrust fault.
Um, track what? Heading to Jurassic Park?

Well the trail is getting cold, but there are some fossil footprints just up the road. (And over at Bryce Canyon there are formations named Alley Oop and Dinny.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on December 09, 2011, 04:44:19 PM
Heh, just searched the mapwel forum, and the answer (from the developer) is to RTFM.  :)

In Mapwel go to Help > Troubleshoot > How to use IMG files with MSTK. So I learned something here... there's an option NOT to bind the .typ file to the .img file in Mapwel, and you can also export the custom .typ file as .txt for compilation with cgpsmapper. Cool. Gives me another way to create custom types that I didn't know I had.  8)

QuoteHow to use IMG file from Mapwel with Mapset Toolkit?

To make map in IMG format exported from Mapwel compatible with Mapset Toolkit, you have to do the following:

Use main menu >File >Properties > Map ID tab to set user defined ID to map. Check 'User Defined' option and insert some 8 digits map ID number. This number must be unique among all maps in GPS. Check the 'Use as a file name' option.

On the same tab check the 'User Defined' map set data option. Select some Map Family ID and Product ID.

Uncheck 'User Defined Styles' in the map parameters tab in the same window to avoid merging of user styles file to the main map file. If you want to use user defined styles with your map, export styles into TYP.txt file with use of main menu > Objects > User Defined Styles > File.

Make sure that map has 'Background Area' object which defines the shape of the map. If there is no such object, draw it manually. It can have irregular shape or it can be just rectangle.

Export map into IMG file format.

Load IMG file to Mapset Toolkit. Load TYP.txt file into respective box. Previous steps were made to ensure compatibility with Mapset Toolkit, which should be achieved at this point.

Sounds like you need access to the source to do that.  I wonder what would happen if somebody tried to use MSTK to import an IMG file that wasn't so prepared?

Boyd

I think you just need to separate the .img and .typ. Might be able to do that with sendmap20, or gmaptool perhaps? Not something I really need to do myself though.

Seldom

Me neither, I've got the shapefiles, and I'll add them to my project.  My point was about what happens if you just try to use MSTK on either a mkgmap or a MapWel IMG file.  I know the limits of mkgmap.  Looks like a generic MapWel could be bad too, or at least hard to figure out.

-Oz-

So I assume in all this time there is still no way to load mapwel files into BaseCamp or Mapsource. So sad.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on December 09, 2011, 06:05:29 PM
I think you just need to separate the .img and .typ. Might be able to do that with sendmap20, or gmaptool perhaps? Not something I really need to do myself though.

I used GmapTool to split my MapWel IMG file into IMG, TYP, TDB, MP, and MDX files. So I guess it should be safe to just "Install".  Not sure what I'd do if it had a problem though.

Boyd

Quote from: -Oz- on December 09, 2011, 09:33:57 PM
So I assume in all this time there is still no way to load mapwel files into BaseCamp or Mapsource. So sad.

The procedure for putting Mapwel maps into Mapsource is listed in the quote I posted above. That comes from the built-in help system in the Mapwel program. You just need to actually own the program to use the technique, because you have use an option to save the .img and .typ files separately. Looks like this is no big deal actually, I assumed it was harder. I think Seldom's point was that it's complicated (and not so intuitive) to convert Mapwel files if you aren't a registered Mapwel user.

I bought the advanced version a number of years ago and it continues to be eligible for updates. Since then, the author has added routing capability and lots of other features. He also personally responds to questions from users in a Yahoo group. As you know, Stan has discontinued cgpsmapper support and the Yahoo group is kind of a sleepy place these days.

Like I said, I don't really use it anymore, but I think it's a nice product with good support. It's also user-friendly with support for custom types, WYSIWYG display of maps and an integrated editor and compiler. Good solution for newbies who want do simple projects.

-Oz-

Hmm, i got the advanced version some years ago too.  I should find that email and install a new version.

At once point I had hoped to use MapWel to replace cgpsmapper.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!