GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Please help old dog learn new trick!

Started by mrbill47, December 04, 2011, 05:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbill47

I just bought a Garmin Oregon 450t due to hearing about the option of adding maps from you site.  I downloaded the Minnesota Topo and see it in my Program Files folder.  I can't however figure out how to get the map in either Mapsource or Basecamp.  I have both on my HP computer.

I tried the file import option.  When I try to open the file, none of the files have the correct extensions (.gdb, .gpx, .jpeg, .jpg, .kml, .kmz, .loc, or .tcx)  I say this because when I open the file, the window says the file is empty.  However, when I open the file without Base camp or MapSource, I see 107  files - variously numbered.

Any help would be so very much appreciated.

Bill

mrbill47

I downloaded Basecamp 3.2.2.0 last night first thing.  I have read the tutorials.  I just downloaded My Trails as this was suggestged on another thread.  Same problem!  I have the My Trails download but Basecamp doesn't see it??

mrbill47

I originally posted this question under the general discussion.  It probably belongs here.  Please excuse my mistake.

I just bought a Garmin Oregon 450t due to hearing about the option of adding maps from you site.  I downloaded the Minnesota Topo and see it in my Program Files folder.  I can't however figure out how to get the map in either Mapsource or Basecamp.  I have both on my HP computer.

I tried the file import option.  When I try to open the file, none of the files have the correct extensions (.gdb, .gpx, .jpeg, .jpg, .kml, .kmz, .loc, or .tcx)  I say this because when I open the file, the window says the file is empty.  However, when I open the file without Base camp or MapSource, I see 107  files - variously numbered.

I then saw here to download MY Trails.  I did and again have it on my PC but can't get it seen by Basecamp.  Probably a very simple fix and c ertainly an operator issue.  But still - VERY frustrating as I'd like to go ride today.

Seldom

Is My Trails listed in the product selection dropdown at the top of the BaseCamp window?

If so, you should know that it only shows a few dots until you zoom in to 7 miles or less.

mrbill47

No, that is the problem.  I can only see the Mapsource Topo maps - East, West, Hawaii, Alaska, and Global.

maps4gps

The downloaded mapset file for a PC is an .exe file.  Run/execute this file - it is a self-installing file and will do all the necessary work.  What version of Windows are you running?

mrbill47

When you say run this file, I believe I did.  The install wizard came up and said it was complete after a few clicks.  Anything else?

Windows 7

mrbill47

PROBLEM SOLVED!  this time, rather than run the maps, I saved them to my download file.  Then after shutting all applications down (as told), I clicked on the map, followed the Wizard, and there they are - in Basecamp.

Thanks to all.

Bill