News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Basic question on custom maps, before I go "all in"

Started by dellphinus, November 02, 2011, 12:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dellphinus

Quote from: jbensman on November 04, 2011, 11:30:47 AM
Wow, we are almost neighbors!  I live in Alton.

Here is one you don't appear to have:  N39 00.850 W90 32.729 Its a neat little historic cemetery in Marquette Park.  You have to bushwack back to it.

When you are done, I would like your data so I can update the cemeteries in my My POIs map. 

I still think the process I described to you is your best way.  The custom map can be very hard to read on your GPS.  If you do it the way I describe, you can open the gpx file in GoogleEarth and see where the cemetery is on the map while it is displayed in GE

Have you ever seen the historic cabin and barn at N39 00.680 W90 31.504? It is really getting in terrible condition and it would be great if it could be protected.

Here is something else you might be interested in:  N38 59.285 W90 29.624 Its an old stone structure that used to hold water from  a spring - the spring has moved about 20 feet from it.  No one in the park knows anything about it.  I suspect who ever built the old cabin at N38 59.254 W90 29.735 built it

That would have to be the Thompson or Crull?  Any names on stones you remember?  We have an unlocated Thompson cemetery somewhere in Sect 33, and a Crull in Sect 28.  Those coords are pretty close to the border between them.   Either way, we can go there tomorrow and check one off our unlocated list.  That map you converted for me (thanks a lot BTW) was about 20% complete.  I should get it finished today.  I suspect the waypoint list will be the functional way to go. 

I was born and raised in Alton- ASH, '74.

dellphinus

Whoops- sorry about that leszekp- thank YOU for the conversion!