GPSFileDepot.com

About simplified versions of polylines for different levels

Started by Schnee, October 25, 2011, 08:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schnee

Hi,

I have a map in GPSMapEdit, export it in Garmin format, install it in BaseCamp with cGPSMapper, finally install it into my Garmin with BaseCamp.
All elements are defined in level 0.

Question: who is in charge in this process for defining simplified version of lines and polygons to be used for levels 1, 2,...?
- Myself im GPSMapEdit?
- GPSMapEdit?
- cGPSMapper?
- BaseCamp?

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Schnee on October 25, 2011, 08:59:58 AM
Question: who is in charge in this process for defining simplified version of lines and polygons to be used for levels 1, 2,...?
Well, you are in charge. You can define them yourself in the other scales or you can let cgpsmapper do it if you can live with it's algorithm.

Schnee

>>or you can let cgpsmapper do it if you can live with it's algorithm.

I have about 5000 roads and land contours, So I thing I'll let it do it.
Then, how do I get cgpsmapper to do it ?

Indrid Cold

define the other levels and add a dictionary header is the easiest way. Check out the tutorials, one of them has all the steps.

Schnee

>>define the other levels and add a dictionary header is the easiest way.

I'm using GPSMapEdit, I don't see support for dictionnaries.
I can define levels, that's it.

Seldom

Use a text editor to create a dictionary as described in the cgpsmapper manual. Open your MP file in a text editor (Notepad++) and paste the dictionary in right after the header.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Schnee on October 25, 2011, 01:03:04 PM
>>define the other levels and add a dictionary header is the easiest way.

I'm using GPSMapEdit, I don't see support for dictionnaries.
I can define levels, that's it.
Go to the following tutorial and scroll down to the GPSMapEdit header for the instructions:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-create-garmin-topo-maps---part-8---combining-data/

Schnee

QuoteGo to the following tutorial and scroll down to the GPSMapEdit header for the instructions:

Ok, I will try this. Thanks.
The tutorial also shows instructions for Global Mapper.
Which one is the best?