GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

New Mexico Topo Maps

Started by Townsand, October 05, 2011, 08:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Townsand

HI all, new guy here and having problems with the NM topo map.  It says to run the "setup", but I see no setup file.  Other than that I believe I can follow the rest of the instructions for inputting maps into my device.

Thanks!

Seldom

The NM Topo you download is an executable downloader.  Double click on it and run the executable.  You'll need MapSource or BaseCamp installed first.  See the tutorials for how to do all of this.

Townsand

I did double click on it, yet I see no executable in the folder.  I did do a lot of reading before posting, however, I see no executable file, only a bunch of zipped folders, but the only executable is the uninstall.

I was looking for the executable file but I only see images and numbered zip files, I'll keep reading, thanks for the reply, however.

Edit: I did have BaseCamp and MapSource downloaded as per the instructions, just can't see the exe for some reason.

Seldom

Are you talking about this map?
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/41/
Do you have a PC or a Mac?

Townsand

Yessir, that is the map indeed!  PC, W7 64 bit, hopefully that's not the problem?

-Oz-

if you see the uninstall and all the .img files then you have already run the .exe

You can just view/open the map in BaseCamp.  since you are running 64bit there is a chance you won't be able to see it initially, just install this map: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/ as well and then everything will work.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Townsand

You rock, thanks Oz! And thanks for making such splendid things!

Edit: Now I see My Trails but not the NM topo...I don't know what's going on...I am following all the rules for installing in BaseCamp.

Edit 2: Finally figured it out!  Was not working in my Program Files(x86) folder, had to move it and then basecamp was able to see it.

Thanks for all your help!

Seldom

Quote from: Townsand on October 07, 2011, 08:20:55 AM
Edit 2: Finally figured it out!  Was not working in my Program Files(x86) folder, had to move it and then basecamp was able to see it.

Did you select the (x86) folder or was it the default?
Where did you move it to so it would work?

Townsand

It was the default, I then directed it to the Garmin folder, under the regular program files, I believe.  Question: I just had NM topo loaded and was looking at it, decided to load My Trails, and now I don't see the NM topo under the maps in my GPS now.  There are 3 check-marked "My Trails" under the map folder, but no "NM Topo".  Was wondering if it's still there, I'm guessing My Trails kind of encompasses it.

Thanks, this is great to learn!

Seldom

When you send a file to the GPSr BaseCamp or MapSource creates a file called gmapsupp.IMG in the Garmin folder on the unit.  If there's another file called gmapsupp.IMG already there it gets overwritten.  If you have an OR, DK, MT, or 62s, you can re-name the original gmapsupp.IMG to something like NMTopo.IMG. It won't be overwritten and the unit will see it so you can turn it on or off.  If you have an older unit like a 60CSX it only permits a single file which must be named gmapsupp.img.  If you rename the gmapsupp.img on an older unit, the unit won't see it.

Townsand

Hey thanks much, I appreciate you guys helping me out!