GPSFileDepot.com

Custom Maps from global mapper no longer working with basecamp

Started by joehayes101, September 13, 2011, 08:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joehayes101

I recently "updated" my basecamp software and now the kmz maps I created in Basecamp have lost all of their resolution - I have created new maps - same problem.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Boyd

What does "lost their resolution" mean?  ???

Do the custom maps work properly on the GPS? Do they work properly in Google Earth? I have made many custom maps with Globalmapper myself, and they work fine on my Oregon and Montana. I don't use them in Basecamp, but remember having an issue at some point in the past when I tried. The solution was to open the custom map in Google Earth, then save it back to a .kmz file. After that it worked properly in Basecamp.

joehayes101

Well, all the detail was lost - the map is there, but you can't zoom in any make out any of the terrain features - just blurry larger pixels.  I will try your work around. Thanks

Boyd

You might want to post in Garmin's support forum. The software developers are active participants and may request that you send them a sample file: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179

joehayes101

Re-saving from Google Earth didn't help.  I have "map detail" set to "Highest" and "profile" set to "walking."  These setting are new I think - could there be something else I'm missing?

Seldom

Quote from: joehayes101 on September 13, 2011, 08:56:29 AM
Well, all the detail was lost - the map is there, but you can't zoom in any make out any of the terrain features - just blurry larger pixels.  I will try your work around. Thanks

I see what you mean.  Comparing an original MrSid file in GM with the KMZ export in BaseCamp. the KMZ only has one coarse level of zoom and pixels get blurry on zoom in.  And the detail on my 62s is much better than the detail in BaseCamp.

maps4gps

Might be a flaw with the BaseCamp update.  As Boyd mentioned, check the Garmin forums.

Boyd

Seldom

Joe and I both have posts on the BaseCamp forum, and I've uploaded one sample.  Problem is that they seem to allow me a lifetime quantity of 2MB of attachments and my best example is 2.9MB all by itself.