GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

E-trex 10-20-30

Started by Kam Kid, August 03, 2011, 06:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kam Kid

What do you guys think of the new E-trex 10-20-30 E-trex was the first gps that I bought in 2000 it was the yellow and black model not a mapping model.
The E-trex 20 retails for aprox $200 and looks like a good bang for the buck to me I presently own a Legend HCX and a Dakota 20.
I prefer the push button E-trex family style gps to the touch screen Dakota or Oragan style gps because I can operate these models with one hand in the piper cub, pick up,quad,boat,snow machine or just trail blazing.
Looking forward to checking out the new E-trex 20's and 30's when they arrive here in mid August. ;D

Patrick

Boyd

Based on what you've said, and the fact that you already have a Dakota, it would probably be a good choice for you. But it sounds pretty much like a Dakota with buttons, and we've seen the Dakota 20 going for about $200 recently.

However you need to get the eTrex 30 to have the same capabilities as the Dakota 20 (notably the altimeter and compass): https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=145&compareProduct=63801&compareProduct=30926&compareProduct=87774&compareProduct=87771

New models don't usually get much of a discount - I see the eTrex 30 listing for $300 at gpscity. That seems way out of line to me. They are also listing the GPSmap 62s for $300. Unless you need the smaller size (maybe better battery life?), that sounds like a better value for a non-touchscreen Garmin. And $200 for the eTrex 20 seems like a lot to pay for a unit with no compass or altimeter.

Kam Kid

Quote from: Boyd on August 06, 2011, 09:35:20 AM
Based on what you've said, and the fact that you already have a Dakota, it would probably be a good choice for you. But it sounds pretty much like a Dakota with buttons, and we've seen the Dakota 20 going for about $200 recently.

However you need to get the eTrex 30 to have the same capabilities as the Dakota 20 (notably the altimeter and compass): https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=145&compareProduct=63801&compareProduct=30926&compareProduct=87774&compareProduct=87771

New models don't usually get much of a discount - I see the eTrex 30 listing for $300 at gpscity. That seems way out of line to me. They are also listing the GPSmap 62s for $300. Unless you need the smaller size (maybe better battery life?), that sounds like a better value for a non-touchscreen Garmin. And $200 for the eTrex 20 seems like a lot to pay for a unit with no compass or altimeter.
Thanks for the reply and nice web site I didn't know that you could get a Dakota 20 with buttons. I like the E-Trex as they are pretty user friendly compass and altimiter are not as important to me as battery life I could do without lots of bells and whistles.
I am just tire kicking right now and I can ive with what I have but at some point I will be picking up another gps thanks again. ;D
Pat

Boyd

The Dakota does not have buttons. I said that the Etrex 30 looked like it would be similar to a Dakota 20, but with buttons.

Kam Kid

Quote from: Boyd on August 13, 2011, 06:29:46 AM
The Dakota does not have buttons. I said that the Etrex 30 looked like it would be similar to a Dakota 20, but with buttons.
Hmm interesting I will have to have a peek a boo at them when they get to Thunder Bay Ontario Canada.
I will bet that my ancestors sure could have used a gps like this way back in the early days I think one of them was sent by Samuel de Champlain to explore the upper Great Lakes with  Etienne Brule in 1619 on his first voyage discovering the North Shore of Lake Superior and what is now Thunder Bay Ontario and Duluth Minnesota.
Some times I wish I could go back in time and see what it was like then but then again I think I will stick to my diet pepsi and head up north to the town of Armstrong Ontario and just fly around with my pal to no name lakes, catch fish and pretend to be a courier des bois when I can. ;D
Thanks again and I will be sure to check em out before plunking down the ca$h.
Pat