GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How to display paths on the Garmin Etrex / 60csx?

Started by LucaPCP, August 15, 2011, 09:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LucaPCP

One of the main uses I have for my gps is to use it to plan hikes, and store on the gps the route / path I will have to follow.  On a Garmin 62-series this is very easy, as I can upload om the Gps any number of tracks.  But on the Etrex, I don't know how to do that.

If I create a route, then the Etrex displays the names of the waypoints along the route (which are usually meaningless such as Lake012 or somesuch), completely cluttering the display.
If I convert the route to a path and upload the path to the gps, it works, but I am limited to 20 paths at most.

What is a good way on an Etrex or 60csx to plan and store paths to be followed during hikes?  How do you do this?

Thanks,

Luca

Seldom

Just did this on my 60CSX.
Open a saved track.
Select it in MapSource.
Send the selected track to the 60CSX. (icon button with arrow pointing to GPSr)
On the 60CSX Main Menu select Tracks, pick the one you just uploaded, and trackback.

LucaPCP

Thanks!

Another way I found: in Basecamp, open the path.  Convert it to a route: this simplifies it, reducing the number of points (as the eTrex / 60csx are limited).  Then, convert the route back to a path.  Then, load the path into the GPS as you indicated.

Now, this is fine, but it's kind of a pain to have to do it for every path, and one is still quite limited by the memory (20 paths at most, including the current one of the day).  But, I guess there is no better way...