GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Loading the Arizona Topo Map question

Started by PRDATR, July 31, 2011, 01:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRDATR

I just bought a 60CSx two days ago and found this great site when searching for information on the new Garmin. I have a couple of those darn Newbie Questions I hope someone can help me with.
1. I loaded the CD that came with the unit (Trip and Waypoint Manager) and from this site loaded MapSource and ran the update. Now I also downloaded the Arizona Topo but when I extract it the program creates a new file path of C:\Program Files\Arizona Topo instead of loading it into MapSource.

2. When I open MapSource I tried to create a map using the map tool and draging it across the state I am in but nothing gets highlighted and the box disappears when I release the mouse button.

Seldom

Can you see AZ Topo in MapSource?

If so, when you drag the map tool across the map, the tiles you cross should turn pink, and the tile name should show up on the maps tab to the left of the map.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/ should explain everything and even uses AZ Top to do it.

PRDATR

No I can't see it. As I understand it when I download it the AZ Topo should go sirectly into MapSource but it creates it's own directory.

Seldom

Look at the graphics in the tutorial.  Where it says AZ Topo is a dropdown menu.  AZ Topo should show up as an option in your MapSource when you open the dropdown.

PRDATR

I rebooted thecomputerand I now have it in Mapsource and can see it. So I guess I need ot read the tutorial further to see what the next step is afterhighlighting the state adn getting all the images in as 46 Maps.

PRDATR

Ok, so if I understand this correctly there are 46 seperate maps (segments?) that can now be loaded into the GPS and only one map Image will be able to be viewed at a time.

Boyd

There are two limitations on what you can send to the GPS:

1. Cannot use more than 2025 map segments (tiles)
2. Total map cannot be larger than 4GB

Other than that, you can select and send as many segments as you like. You can combine them with segments from other maps you have installed in Mapsource as well. After selecting the desired part of the first map, use View > Switch to Product and select parts of the second map. Repeat as desired. Then send everything together to your memory card.

On the GPS, you will be able to choose which maps are displayed by pressing Menu > Menu >Setup > Map. So, to answer your question, all 46 of the Arizona segments can be viewed at the same time, and you can also view portions of other maps at the same time if you want.

PRDATR

Thanks, I was hoping I would be able to view the entire state instead of switching between each map. I could have used a tutorial on this alone and have been working through this since this morning.
Pretty cumbersome but it beats spending $100 (I think).
When I opened up the AZ Topo I dragged the map icon and it grabbed all of the smaller maps and stuck them in the window under the Maps Tab.
Your explanation of the View-Switch to Product has me confused. Should I delete the 46 maps now listed in the Maps window and go back and highlight the state and then do the View-Switch to Product?
Is this how the second map is created so I can download it to the GPS, assuming I need to name it something.?

Seldom

You don't need to switch products if AZ Topo is the only "product" you have in MapSource.  If you had another product, say City Navigator, then you'd need to switch products in order to load tiles from it.

If AZ topo is all you own, then just select all 46 tiles and "Send to Device".  Just make sure you have a re-writable microSD to write to. 

Don't try sending maps to a microSD that you purchased from Garmin.  You could destroy any maps on it.

PRDATR

I just have the SD Micro that came with it. I loaded the AZ Topo which took about 15 minutes (or less) and it works great. I am a very happy camper. Definately will contribute some $$ to this site.

maps4gps

A few points of info.
Garmin uses entries in the Windows registry to record info about mapsets.  MapSource/Basecamp  only check the registry at startup.

MapSource is 'included' in Trip and Waypoint Manager.  It is a copyrighted Garmin program.  Only a link is provided to Garmin's website for you to 'upgrade' to the latest version.

A downloaded mapset does not 'go directly into MapSource'.  The file downloaded is self-installing; the map files are placed in a default folder (unless you indicate another location at that time) and the proper entries are made in the Windows registry.  Do NOT move hese files later as the info in the registry would then point to the wrong location.  Use that mapset's uninstall program and then run the downloaded .exe again and specifiy the location you want.

You can select some or all of the segments/quads which makeup a mapset.  Add/remove individual quads by clicking on each or delete from the list of those selected (delete only removes it trom the list and not from the mapset/computer).    To add data from a second (etc.) mapset; open the next mapset and select; the segments/quads will be ADDED to the list in the window at left.  The 60csx only recognizes map data in a single gmapsupp.img file.  This is the file MS?BC creates and sends to the GPSr.  It will overwrite any existing gmapsupp.img file on the GPSr, so any changes (additions or delections) will require creating and sending a new gmapsupp.img file.  That unit uses a USB 1 interface - with a sizable amount of data, it is much faster to take the micro memo card out of the GPSr and place it into a card reader for the data transfer.

Also see the tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-mapsource/

Do NOT use the MapSetTookKit tutorial - that was the method for earlier mapsets which were not downloadable as self-installing mapsets.  It only confuses installing as nearly all of the mapsets available on this site are self-installing files (those hosted on a mapauthors site may or may not be selfinstalling).