GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Hello everyone! Probably beating a dead horse question

Started by cobra-ak, January 30, 2011, 10:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobra-ak

. First I would like to say hello everyone. awesome website with awesome info. I just got the Oregon 550t what is the max size SDHC card or Sd card for that matter that can be used?

Boyd

You may have a hard time finding any micro SD cards these days. Typically 2GB is the largest SD card that you're likely to find.

I am using a 16GB Sandisk Class 2 micro SDHC card in my Oregon 400t with no problems. If you are using BirdsEye imagery, bigger is better.  ;D

cobra-ak

Is there still a limit to map segments that can be added? I need to dowmload some foreign stuff

Boyd

The limit on the Oregon is 4000 segments, which includes all maps that are loaded on both internal and external memory. Since you have a 550t, about 450 segments are already in use for the pre-loaded 100k topo's.

cobra-ak

cobra-ak

I have to say I loaded my old 2008 Topo, I feel like they are a little better than the preoladed topos. Well I also loaded a lot of maps on there. I have not even come close to the 3500 map segment limit(more like about 400 segments in addition to the preloaded topos). I am comparing both screenshots and the jury is still out on 2008 vs, the preloaded. Also I am using a 16G micro SD in there with no issues.

Boyd

Maybe I'm not following you, sorry. Do you mean you loaded all of Topo US 2008? It consists of 6,638 .img files (segments).

I don't see any difference between the DVD version and the pre-installed version on my Oregon 400t. This may be different on the 550t since it's a newer model. http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Maps

QuoteAre the topographic maps on the US Garmin Oregon 400t the same as Topo2008?

They are very similar but not exactly the same. Topo 2008 is packaged differently on the Oregon to get around the space and performance issues of loading several thousand map segments. The maps on the Oregon 400t have 429 segments (vs. 6633 for standard Topo 2008). It also appears that the version of Topo 2008 on the 400t is slightly different, it is called v2. There are a number of POI's related to marinas, boat launch ramps and campsites in the DVD version which aren't part of the preloaded v2.

cobra-ak

Quote from: Boyd on March 17, 2011, 05:48:49 PM
Maybe I'm not following you, sorry. Do you mean you loaded all of Topo US 2008? It consists of 6,638 .img files (segments).

I don't see any difference between the DVD version and the pre-installed version on my Oregon 400t. This may be different on the 550t since it's a newer model. http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Maps

QuoteAre the topographic maps on the US Garmin Oregon 400t the same as Topo2008?

They are very similar but not exactly the same. Topo 2008 is packaged differently on the Oregon to get around the space and performance issues of loading several thousand map segments. The maps on the Oregon 400t have 429 segments (vs. 6633 for standard Topo 2008). It also appears that the version of Topo 2008 on the 400t is slightly different, it is called v2. There are a number of POI's related to marinas, boat launch ramps and campsites in the DVD version which aren't part of the preloaded v2.
Sorry, no, not all of 2008. I loaded the 2008 segments I used and some other maps that I use when I travel.