GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How big an installer is too big?

Started by Seldom, June 18, 2011, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

I've just finished a routable topo with 40' contours, land ownership and wooded areas that extends from 40 N to 34 N and 116 W to 109 W.  It's handy as a single map, but the installer works out to be 400 MB.

Is that too big?  If so, please recommend sizes I should reduce it to.

maps4gps

That should be fine.
Hope you have a fast upload. 
I have had many uploads fail the past month, both with IE and Chrome.   My TX topo took 3 upload tries for the PC version and another 3 for the MAC version.  The transfer just stops with 60 - 99.9 % completed.  Hope yours goes better.

Seldom

Just finished sending it.  Took about 3 hours with connection speed of 55kbps.  Just like phone modem.  Had to restart maybe 4 or 5 times.  I made a Mac file using MapConverter, but I'm trying to figure a way to compress it to TGZ in Win7.  I've got 7zip and Gzip, but the means of forcing TGZ isn't obvious.  Suggestions would be appreciated.

-Oz-

I'm researching a new uploader that will hopefully work better.  it needs to do an sftp or ftp transfer in my opinion to increase the reliability.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Indrid Cold

Quote from: seldom_sn on June 19, 2011, 12:54:18 PM
Just finished sending it.  Took about 3 hours with connection speed of 55kbps.  Just like phone modem.  Had to restart maybe 4 or 5 times.  I made a Mac file using MapConverter, but I'm trying to figure a way to compress it to TGZ in Win7.  I've got 7zip and Gzip, but the means of forcing TGZ isn't obvious.  Suggestions would be appreciated.
you need to get an older version of MapConvertor that has the option built in if you don't have a Mac. If you have a Mac or access to one, follow the tutorial on making a disc image and just use the .gmapi file you have.

Seldom

I'm not coming up with any links to legacy versions of MapConverter.  If you could point me to one I'd appreciate it.

In the absence of an old version would it be sufficient to make a tarball out of the folder, gzip it, and if necessary rename the extension from .tar.gz to .tgz?

maps4gps

Quote from: -Oz- on June 19, 2011, 01:30:36 PM
I'm researching a new uploader that will hopefully work better.  it needs to do an sftp or ftp transfer in my opinion to increase the reliability.
FWIW - I only experienced one failed upload in the first 2+ years I was uploading to gpsfiledepot.
These numerous aborted uploads started about 6 weeks ago.  About two weeks ago either the PC or MAC upload was failing every two States.  This started after IE 9 was auto installed; however, I am having the same issue with Chrome.  Predawn uploads have been more reliable, so I am thinking bandwidth usage somewhere in the chain or perhaps a result of increased solar/sunspot activity.

My posts have recently been 'hanging'.  I have to copy what I have typed, copy it to the clipboard, then relogin to gpsfiledepot, open reply, then paste my response and click post.

maps4gps

How did you get the screen shots into the web page?
I had success doing so before IE8 but not after IE9 installed itself.  The image properties box comes up but is greyed out and 'frozen' without the contents of the box being filed it.
With Chrome the screen is greyed out and 'frozen' before the box is even displayed.

Seldom

I'm using Firefox.  Regarding uploads, it wasn't too bad, I kept an eye on the screen and whenever it stopped I restarted it from where it left off.  Firefox also let me browse to my screenshots and upload them.  I only use IE when I'm somewhere that won't accept Firefox.  I never use Chrome.