GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Map file location on GPS

Started by Franz, June 04, 2011, 01:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franz

First some background:  I have a 62s which is my first map capable Garmin device.  I have also installed a 4 GB MicroSD.  Map files are loaded from a Mac.  Downloaded GPSFileDepot files AZ and NH.  Followed the prompts and was able to get the AZ file to work as advertised!  NH file could not be seen on map selection page?

Questions:
(1) Is it because I'm currently located in AZ that the NH map is not available?
(2) When I check the Garmin built in memory, I don't see the two map files I uploaded to device.  The MicroSD shows no files at all.  Where are they hiding?   

Boyd

Maps that you send to the GPS this way will always be in a folder named Garmin at the root directory of either the GPS internal memory or a memory card, and the file is always named gmapsupp.img. So when you send a second map to the same location, it replaces the one you sent before (without warning I believe). So I think you're just seeing the last map that you sent.

To get around this, after sending the first map, look in the garmin folder and change the name of gmapsupp.img to something else, like AZ.img. Now send the second map and repeat as needed.

Indrid Cold

What "map selection page"? In BaseCamp, MapInstall or the GPS?

Whith that gps, you want to send the maps separately as Boyd mentioned and rename the gmapsupp.img as Boyd detailed. Note that whatever maps you select in MapInstall might have to be deselected on the second map send as MapInstall remembers your selections on a Mac

Franz

Thanks Boyd and Indrid: Boyd,  I found the AZ file in my Garmin root as a gmapsupp.img file and changed the name to AZTopo.img.  Then I attempted to install the nh11.gmapi file using MapManager, but that did not put another gmapsupp.img in the root file?

Indrid,  I was talking about the map selection page on the GPS.  I'm not sure I understand your suggestion about using MapInstall on a Mac.

Please bear with this senior citizen!   Thanks again 

Franz

Boyd and Indrid,  Forget my last.  I discovered what I was doing wrong and now I have both topos available on my GPS.  Now I better write myself some notes so that I can do this with another file at some later date.

Take care, Franz

Indrid Cold

It's all good:)

The .gmapi (Garmin MAP Install) file will install the map package onto your Macintosh as a .gmap (Garmin MAP) with MapManager. Once that happens, you can use MapInstall to send some or all of it to your gps as a gmapsupp.img

You can't send the .gmapi file to the gps, that could be part of your problem. Having two separate people trying to give you help is getting kind of noisy so I'm going to let Boyd take it from here