News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Opening Screen on Dakota 20

Started by Yenalom, May 12, 2011, 06:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yenalom

I have lost something again!

I know I read somewhere how to place your own text on the opening screen of my Dakota 20. Now when I want to do it, I can't find it!

As I recall, there is a way to put your own text so that it will appear when the unit boots. I want to put my name, address, phone number, etc so that if I mislay/lose the unit whoever may find it will at least have a chance to get in touch with me.

Once again, all help is appreciated.

Bob M

Boyd

I would guess that it's similar to the Oregon, but not sure. Try this:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Basic+Operations#FAQ-B7.)%20Can%20I%20add%20a%20custom%20startup%20message%20on%20my%20Garmin%20Oregon?

QuoteB7.) Can I add a custom startup message on my Garmin Oregon?

Yes. Connect your Oregon to a computer in USB mass storage mode and edit file [OR drive]:\Garmin\startup.txt in a text editor like notepad. You can add several lines of text at the end of this file which will be displayed at startup. This feature is useful for adding contact information in case the unit is lost.

Modifying the line <display=0> in the same file will change the the number of seconds that custom startup message is displayed (i.e. <display=5> will display the message for 5 seconds). Note your boot time will increase by the same number of seconds, so a value between 5-10 seconds is a reasonable setting.

Yenalom

Thanks for the response. It worked fine.

Bob M