GPSFileDepot.com

Missing Death Valley topo data from Cal Topo

Started by bobellisds, May 06, 2011, 07:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobellisds

Hi - I've been using the great topos from here for a couple years.  Mostly I'm a California desert hiker and been pleased with the maps.  However I've never found the topo data for the area east of the Panamint Mountains for most all of the Death Valley Furnace Creek area.  I noticed it was missing in my GPS a while back.  Last week I lost my GPS and now have a new one.  I downloaded the Cal Topo again today hoping the missing data would be there but in Map Source it is still missing.   I see the site for the original source of the data is now inactive so I can't check the original version.

Hope you guys have the answer  - Thanks

maps4gps

Do you mean just the contour lines are missing, or is all the data missing?
I recall it was mentioned that the contour lines below sea level ware not included.

My CA contours40ft overlay might help you if a CI of 40ft is useful to you in that area.

The SW US topo has a CI of 20ft; however it was contoured from source data with only 1/9 of the number of points we usually use.  I do not recall if it went below sea level or not.

Indrid Cold

See the above post for suggestions, the California topo does not have any contour data @ or below 0 feet, you're not going to see the Salton Sea area also.

bobellisds

Thanks for the reply - Whats missing is the contour lines, but not just from the below sea level area, it would be not so bad if it was just that.  The lines stop in a large rectangular block which starts at the crest of the Panamint Mountains at 8,000 feet and misses the whole eastern side of the range before dropping to below sea level, not so helpful if you are hiking off trail up there.  Its too bad, its one of my favorite areas.  I'll check on the Salton Sea.    - - -   Just checked Salton Sea - it behaves as you would expect; it just has no contour lines below sealevel but has all the lines surrounding that.   The Death Valley problem is a missing block of above sealevel lines starting from just above Shoshone in southern Death Valley and including the northern Black Mountains, the Funeral Mountains and the southern Grapevine Mountains as well as the eastern Panamints.     I'll see if I can find the 40 foot contours you mention.  Missing all the eastern DV contours is too much.        Thanks again   Bob     

Indrid Cold

Yes, those areas are missing from the CA topo, too bad that map was never updated.

bobellisds

The best deal for me seems to be the Southwest Topo.  It has complete coverage of the area in reasonable detail.  Thanks for pointing me there.       Bob