News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Safely Deleting from Oregon 450t

Started by RevDoggin, April 29, 2011, 12:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RevDoggin

Hi Guys,

I'm brand new here. I just finally replaced my trusty old eTrex with an Oregon 450t.
I was going to get the 450 but I found the 450t for the same price so I figured I may as well get it.

As I'm just starting to learn how to deal with the maps I have a couple of questions.
What software should I be using on my Mac system? I've downloaded BaseCamp and MapInstall but I see other options available. I'm going to use my 450 for hiking.

I loaded up some of the California Topo and the Oregon Topo.
The California Topo is listed twice on the "Select Map" list. Is this correct or was there a problem while installing?

How do I delete maps without deleting the 100k US Topo map that came preinstalled?
I saw people talking about deleting the gpsmapsupp.img file but I was afraid that may be the wrong thing to do. Is the preinstalled map in a separate file?

Thanks for providing such a useful forum!

Boyd

Those are the correct applications to use on your Mac. Garmin also has "Roadtrip", but it has not been updated in a long time and is painfully slow. I wouldn't even bother.

Someone else will probably clarify, but I think the CA topo has two components: the basic map and a transparent overlay with elevation contours.

Maps that you send with Basecamp are always placed in the gmapsupp.img file. You can rename it if you want to send another map (such as "california.img"). Any valid map file with a .img extension will be recognized by your Oregon.

The preloaded maps are in the file named gmapprom.img. Don't mess with this file! Basecamp will not ever touch that file either.

Do yourself a favor and do a complete backup of your Oregon now, which it's still new. Just copy all the files on the Oregon to a folder on your Mac. It will take a long time and use ~3GB disk space. But you will be glad you have the backup if you have problems later.

RevDoggin

Hey Boyd,

Great.

I'm going to delete that file and start over.
I'm also going to do a backup. I never would've thought about that on my own. I'm an embroidery designer which has me stuck in front of a big, huge MacPro all day so I'll just plug the thing in and let the backup take as long as it wants.

Thank You so much for your help. Actually, you've helped me a lot over the last couple of weeks with so many replies to other's questions that have helped me learn.

I'm hoping to do a little custom map tonight so don't be surprised if you see me post another few dumb questions.

Boyd