GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

PLSS overlay not transparent (?)

Started by hodag_guy, April 12, 2011, 01:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hodag_guy

hi, I'm new to this forum and have a question about a map I just downloaded to my GPSMap78.

I downloaded a PLSS overlay map from this site and copied one of the .img files directly to the GPS micro-sd card. It shows the section lines, etc. but obscures the topo map beneath it, which is an .img file from MapSource US TOPO.

I thought in being transparent, the topo map should show with the PLSS lines overlaid. What am I doing wrong?

Indrid Cold

You copied it? How so, you need to use MapSource, MapInstall or Roadtrip to install to your gps or you won't get the custom .typ that goes with it.

maps4gps

Transparent is a misnomer.  Those mapsets behave as overlays not transparent.  Does not make too much difference for line and points; however, a polygon will draw after data in the 'base map' and cover it up.  A custom transparent polygon type can be used; however, as Indrid posted, for this to work properly you need to use MapSource or BaseCamp or equivalent MAC program which will  upload the map data and associated custom type file to the GPSr.  

Please use the proper procedure for uploading map data from the PC to the GPSr.  See:http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

hodag_guy

Indrid, maps4gps, I just copied it from my PC to the card with Windows Explorer, I didn't use MapSource. I'll try using MapSource and let you know if I still have the same problem. Thanks for the feedback.

hodag_guy

I loaded from MapSource and it overlays "transparent", with the MapSource topo showing underneath. Funny how following directions actually works :) Thanks for the help.