GPSFileDepot.com

How To Load .img Files Into MapSource With MapSetToolkit

Started by terry1965, March 19, 2011, 01:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry1965

I used the tutorial mentioned in the title to successfully upload an img file into MapSource. The map works in MapSource just like it should.  However when I try to download the map to my GPSmap60CSx I get the following message

"The map set is approximately 1.2 MB, but only 956.1 MB is available in the destination.  Pleaseselect fewer maps and try again."

Does anyone have a clue about how to fix this?

The tutorial is at: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-.img-files-into-mapsource-with-mapsettoolkit/

maps4gps

From what you posted, which is really not enough information to give an accurated answer.

Most mapsets hosted on this site are self-instally so there is no need to use MSTK.

terry1965

The mapset is only 1.2MB and I have almost 1GB available.  So that is not the problem.  What more information would be needed?

Seldom

I never got this message using MSTK, but I've gotten that message it was because I wasn't fully compiling a TDB file after I compiled the IMG.  I was just dropping it into a folder to replace another IMG of the same name.

Indrid Cold

Yep, the map files don't match the .tbd What map is this?

maps4gps

My bad; was thinking 1.2Gb.

As Indrid posted; what mapset? 
Is it one of the 450 list here; or one you have created?

That message has been mentioned before; I do not remember if it was on this website or another.
Might have had something to do with 64bit Windows 7. 

Have you been able to transfer data from another mapset to the micro memory card?

terry1965

The mapset is an .img file I got from the Black Hills National Forest It is the new Motor Vehicle Use Map which shows the roads and trails for the Black Hills.  I used mapupload.exe to load the map into my GPS.   It worked well as long as I didn't try to load too many other map sets.  Then I found GPSFileDepot I used the tutorial to use MapSetToolKit to create a TDB file and install the map into MapSource.  That  worked well, but when I tried to download the map to my GPS I ran into trouble.

I have sent an e-mail to the Forest Service people recommending that they put the file on GPSMapDepot so everyone can down load it.  I should hear from them tomorrow. 

I am running XP so the windows 7 thing doesn't apply.

I have no problems loading a number of Garmin mapsets but have never tried a custom mapset.

Since the .img file belongs to the Forest service and I am just a Beta tester I probably shouldn't post it on the web site but I would be willing to e-mail it to anyone who thought they could sort this out.  As I am sure it is obvious I am a nocice at this.

I appreciate all the help you have been.

Seldom

I've used MapSetToolKit to install maps from two different compilers, but all the components (TDB, basemap.IMG,and main IMG) need to be compiled using the same compiler.  Ask the forest service what compiler they are using.

jbensman

This is weird.  I took the img file he sent me, instaled it with mapsettookkit.  It opened OK in MapSource but I got the same error message when I tried to send it to the GPS.  So I opened the img in gpsmapedit, saved it as a MP file, and then recompiled the img file.  Then I was able to send it to my gps.  I did not run mapsettoolkit again after recompiling the img file. 

terry1965

jbensman sent me the file that he had recompiled.  I replaced the .img file that I had with his and now I can download maps to my GPS.  Thanks a lot. :)

Now I just need to figure out how to get what I have loaded into MapSource on someone else's PC.