GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

processing transportation files

Started by Dean, February 08, 2009, 10:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean

I can download the transportation files and then combine them into the "all_lines.*" files, but if I try to process them with PostGIS the "all_lines" file disappear and I'm left with a transportation.prj file. I thought I needed the transportation.shp file to latter add to the other components? It seems like I'm closer to what I need without the Process(PostGIS) step.
Dean

-Oz-

you should end up exporting transportation.shp from the database. Are you using my Topo Process program or following the tutorial?

You NEED to do the postgis step to make sure you get the raods classed correctly.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Dean

I'm using the Topo process program and trying to follow the tutorial. The tutorial does not mention exporting. Did I miss something?
Dean

-Oz-

No, when using the topo process program it should automatically export transportations.shp

Does your postgresql database have a password; if so this is likely why the program is failing.  You need to make it so it doesn't need a password and then remove the password from the settings and then it'll work; follow the steps here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/installing-and-setting-up-postgresql-with-postgis/ steps 18-23.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Dean

I have the config file set to trusted. But when I try to install postgis I get this error message:
error opening file for writing
c:program files\postgresql\8.3\bin\libiconv-2.dll
abort   retry  cancel

then the error log has this message:

createdb: database creation failed:
error: database postgis already exists

I've used the control panel to remove the postgis program, re-started the computer and went through the steps again and continue to get the same error message. Any idea about what is going on?
Dean

-Oz-

If you open pgAdmin III do you see a postgis database?

Someone just posted this error on the message list for postgis so I'm watching it.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Dean

If I open pgAdmin and login with a password then I see several data bases, some have a red X through them but if I right-click the red X's they seem to go away. Then if I leave pgAdmin open I can process the downlaoded transportation files. I assume this transportation step now working because I ended up with a nice transportation.shp file that I can open in mapedit.

Next step...contours

-Oz-

yea it working.

It means the database isn't autoloading unless you keep it open.  You'll need it open for contours as well.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!