GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin newbie

Started by kimpossible_1, March 14, 2011, 10:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimpossible_1

Actually a GPS newbie altogether, just got a Garmin Legend HCx, Since I had no experience with GPS I didn't know I'd have to fork out $300 or so for the maps I want, is there a cheap place on the internet I can get them? Thanks!

maps4gps

A google search for the item(s) you want with 'price' in the search will usually accesses one of the the websites which lists the prices from numerous vendors.

$300 for maps is not at all helpful.  What are your specific needs/uses and area?

If you do not need embeded elevation data (for a 3D view), nor address searching, nor routing, nor extensive people type POI's; most of the free maps here should meet most needs.  Plus there are some overlay/transparent mapsets which offer types of information that Garmin does not.

kimpossible_1

Well I need topo maps for Oregon, Washington and California, as well as road maps for all three states, I've been looking at the free maps on this site and they look promising, I'm just a little intimidated on how to get them to my mapsource that came with the Garmin then to my Garmin.

maps4gps

Follow these two tutorials: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-mapsource/
and http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Download the .exe file for the mapsets.
Have MapSource on the computer, but not opened.
For each mapset, run/execute the .exe for that mapset.  Change the folder if you do not like the defaults.  Do not move the files after they are installed - MapSource will not see them as their location is recorded in the Windows registry.
Then start MapSource, the installed mapsets will be listed.  Select one, an overview map will display.  When zoomed-in far enough the actual data will display.  Select some or all of the quads/segments. 
Your GPSr only supports one gmapsupp.img file (the file name MapSource sends to the GPSr).
See the tutorial on how to select and send data from more than one mapset.
Enjoy.

kimpossible_1

Thankyou! I will try this as soon as I can get my laptop to a wifi hotspot. I live in the boonies and have dial-up ::)

maps4gps

Garmin 24k topo has those 3 States on one DVD.  At discount you should be able to find it for less than $90.  It has the embeded elevation grid data for 3D views (plus elevation a pointer location) and is supposed to be routable.  Reports say few to no trails - it was Garmin's first 24k.  There are NW and SW trails websites which compile trails submitted from users and make overlay/transparent mapsets available.
You can view an area(s) of you choice for that product on Garmins website.  I found it fairly slow in sending the data.

FYI - The content and display of the topos on this site for those three States will vary as each was created by a different map author.

kimpossible_1

Downloaded the Oregon topo map into Mapsource, it looks like it will work for me and am now downloading 4 other maps, forgot my pc cord for my Garmin though, so getting it on my Garmin will have to wait, I played around with the map and created a route from my house to a mine in the woods, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: maps4gps on March 14, 2011, 01:46:38 PM
Garmin 24k topo has those 3 States on one DVD.  At discount you should be able to find it for less than $90.
+1 this is a great map for the money, a 3D autorouting topo that covers all the states you're interested in.

kimpossible_1

Quote from: kimpossible_1 on March 19, 2011, 09:45:13 AM
Downloaded the Oregon topo map into Mapsource, it looks like it will work for me and am now downloading 4 other maps, forgot my pc cord for my Garmin though, so getting it on my Garmin will have to wait, I played around with the map and created a route from my house to a mine in the woods, can't wait to see how it turns out.
It worked! except it's all dark so I gotta figure that out

Boyd

"It's all dark"? Is your gps set for night mode perhaps?

maps4gps

Or set for auto day/night and being used at night.  Be sure the time is correct for you location.
Having the GPSr set for marine colors could also make it dark; however, it is unlikely you are testing it on a large body of water.

kimpossible_1

got it figured out, it was on auto mode and it was night Thanks!

maps4gps

Thanks for letting us know what solved it.

kimpossible_1

Now I got another problem, after putting 30 waypoints into mapsource and transferring them to my Garmin they never transferred, been doing it all along like this now what..

Indrid Cold

Quote from: kimpossible_1 on April 01, 2011, 10:00:09 PM
Now I got another problem, after putting 30 waypoints into mapsource and transferring them to my Garmin they never transferred, been doing it all along like this now what..
Aree you sure they didn't transfer? Do a search by name on the unit.