GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPSMapEdit - Coding Schema for custom vector maps???

Started by eaparks, March 08, 2011, 03:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaparks

In GPSMapEdit in the:  File > Map Properties > Header > Coding Schema: you have a few options.  My questions are:

1. What is the difference in American (7-bit) and European (single-byte).  
2. Will one compile any faster than the other.  
3. Is it better to use one instead of the other for small custom vector maps.

The first maps I made a few years ago I just always left the Coding Schema at it's default of European (single-byte).  I have always put 4 or 5 very small river maps (each river a seperate map tile) into a single MapSet to keep from having so many different MapSets to enable or disable.  For no real reason, about a year ago I put a couple of the maps in the MapSet as American and a couple as European and it loaded 2 seperate but identical MapSets onto the GPS using Mapsource (Mapsource only had the 1 MapSet), so... I do know that all map tiles within a single MapSet need to be of the same Coding Schema, but have no idea what is actually changed from 1 to the other.  

For about the past year I have been using American (7-bit) for all of my maps.  Somewhere along the way MapSetToolKit has started taking 5-7 minutes to compile as compared to the same version only taking ~ 30 seconds a couple of years ago,  Wondered if the Coding Schema used in GPSMapEdit could affect MapSetToolKit?
Thanks

Seldom

I asked the same question a little over a year ago.  IIRC I think I got a response from Indrid Cold saying that the European Single Byte coding permitted things like umlauts, accents, and other non-English, superscripts.  But while I can find my question, I can't find his answer.

eaparks

Thanks seldom sn, for the information on at least some of the differences.