GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Mapsource routing confusion

Started by Munmi, March 15, 2011, 12:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munmi

First let me say I am glad I found this site.  Looks like ALOT of very knowledgeable and helpful folks here. ;D

I own a Garmin Street Pilot 2620 which is mounted to my motorcycle and I would like to add routes.  I found this Youtube tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVlCGwuJ5gM describing the process using Mapsource.  I then purchased Garmin Trip and Waypoint Manager and also downloaded Mapsource v6.16.3. as suggeested on the motorcycle forum I frequent.http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/cmps_index.php?
In the Youtube tutorial, one of the first tasks described is to set the preferences.....edit/preferences/routing tab.  My version of v6.16.3 does not have the route tab in preferences.  I have seen a screen shot of this version, but mine does not have it.

The routing function that I am trying to perform is where the highlighted track is following the road, not straight line point to point.

Suggestion?
Scott

maps4gps

I am somewhat guessing on this.  Tracks are somewhere you have gone; routes are for where you want to go.  So I do not see how the routing function would work with a track.  Also to route you need a mapset which support routing; few from this site do.  Hopefully someone who knows more on routing and tracks will respond. 

Munmi

My terminology is a bit lacking.  Route building is what I am after where the road is highlighted, not straightline point to point.
Thanks

Indrid Cold

You need to select a map that has routing installed such as City Navigator shown in the YouTube video. If BaseCamp will display the installed map from your gps,  you could use that.

Boyd

From what you said, you only purchased trip and waypoint manager and not any maps. You will need City Navigator on your computer to plan routes. And you will have some issues with the 2620 (I had one of these myself about 100 years ago  ;D ). The 2600 series is not compatible with Garmin's current maps (not NT compatible) so you will have routing issues if you put the 2011 version of City Navigator on your computer and use an old map on the GPS.

What version maps are on the 2620? You may need to look on eBay or somewhere to find someone selling an old version.