GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

OK, Dumb Newb ?

Started by conkris, February 18, 2011, 08:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conkris

I am new to handhelds, (Garmin Vista HCX) and this forum, so I'll start with a dumb ? And yes, I tried the search feature.
I use my GPS for snowmobiling, especially TracBack feature...works great, but of course the Base Map sucks, so I installed on a 2 GB Card, the free NY State topo map (not all of it) found here at GPS file depot...thanks to the author, it rocks.
I then found a free NY State snowmobile Trail Map (overlay) map. Downloaded it (appears in Mapsource)
I removed/deleted the original NY Topo map from the card, using my card reader, then using Mapsource selected the appropriate "tiles" for the topo map (39MBs) and the snowmobile map...Named the "map" (41ish Mbs) and installed it on the card...tah dah...I now have the topo with the overlay, as I should, but wait there's more...I can turn off, "hide" the map, and of course I now have the crapola Base Map.

Here's what I would like.

The ability to have the NYS topo map with the snowmobile overlay (which I have) or just the NYS  topo map, in other words be able to turn off/ hide just the Snowmobile overlay leaving the topo map (not the Garmin Base Map)..because in some areas as a result of the number of trails, the topo features are obsquered.

Can I install the topo map tiles as one file, ( Name it topo) on the card.... then add the snomobile overlay as a separate file, Name it Snowo) thus making them both avilable as hide/show??? I read that a second map will overwrite the 1st installed map, but is the overlay considered a map. Or will they both show in "map selection"

Thanks in advance
Tony

maps4gps

Your GPSr can only use a single gmapsupp.img file.
This file can have more than one mapset in it.  You are limited to a total of 2025 quads/segments.
If the Vista is like my 76csx, you can hide/show individual mapsets - on the page which shows the individual quads/segments, 'hit' menu and you will get a page listing the mapsets.  The hide/show is the action you wish to take. 

conkris

Thanks for responding. When I created the file in mapsource. I opened and selected several quads from the Topo map, lets say 20 segments, totaling 39 mbs, then I opened the Snowmobile Overlay map, and added it (it was 1 big segment). The result was a file 40 ish MBs in size. I named it Snowtopo, and sent it to the card. It appears as a selectable map...I can "hide it", but then I have the Garmin default topo map....I thought I would see 2 maps, topo and snow, and be able to select them both, or turn off snow. Should I....can I, upload the topo segments to the card as a file called Topo, and then send the Snow overlay as a totally seperate file to the card...from what I read the second will overwrite the 1stg (topo), or will they both be there so I can select to show both or hide the snow map. leaving me just the topo. Essentially, is there a way to upload the files to have them both on the map selection page. Maybe I'm being thick, but you appear to be saying I can turn off snow...I'm only seeing 1 checkable map.??

conkris

The mind is a terrible thing to waste.  ::)

Upon further investigation, I see the map that shows in map selection on the unit is  "NY Snowmobile free 2009"....that's not what I named the combination file I up loaded, the 40 ish mb file...which got me thinking..Why Not, and in fact when I unchecked it in the map selection page, the trails would disappear and what I thought was the default Garmin base map was in truth my NY topo map, but because of the zoom level appeared to be detail-less. I feel better that I did everything right, but a little stupid I didn't recognize what was happening. The way I proved it was to turn the unit on, with the snowmobile trails unchecked....looked at the detail, then removed the card leaving only the base map....the difference is amazing...watta dope.

That being said, I could start over, upload NY State topo, and Florida topo, along with 2009 Snowmobile at one time, one file....the unit would default to one of the topo's...the other topo and the snowmobile would be checkable/uncheckable. YES?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the trouble.

Boyd

The name you choose in Mapsource is just for your own convenience and has nothing to do with the name you will see on the GPS. That name comes from data provided by the author inside the map.

You sort of lost me here, but if you send a whole bundle of maps the way you described, you will be able to choose which ones to enable on the GPS. I don't know that there's any "default" map when you send a whole group, or at least I can't recall a pattern that would determine which map(s) are enabled the first time you install them on the unit. I think you will always have to go to the menu and pick and choose what you want.

conkris

I think I'm OK, just not doing a very good job of explaining...the only thing that still confused me is Why don't I see the NY Topo map in the menu list on the unit...all that's there is the snowmobile map. I think, maybe because the topo map is the only map on the card that has a background it cannot be turned off, (remember the trails is transparent) so if I had 2 maps... let's say the NY topo and NY roads...(forget the trails overlay for now) both maps would show in the menu???? I could then go back and forth by checking the one I want and unchecking the one I don't.

I can test it by simply installing everything I currently have plus another map...but my head hurts, soooooooooo. I may try that some time....

Either way, what I care about is being able to turn off the trail overlay and still have the higher quality topo vs base map...and I can. Life is good.

Thanks again...

Indrid Cold

Spent years with that gps, you can turn on or off any map loaded plus the basemap.

maps4gps

Not sure why you are not seeing the NY topo listed.
On my 76csx one would see all the mapsets listed, including the Garmin world basemap (i.e. NY topo, NY snowmobile, and world basemap; also options to hide or show all).

NY topo and FL topo could both be available for display.  The problem is where two (or more) mapsets cover the same area and either (or only one) is an overlay/transparent mapset.

conkris

The NY topo does not appear in the maps information menu, only the 2009 snowmobile map does, and yes I can turn it on or off.....I cannot turn off NY Topo, because it's not in the menu. I know I have it on the unit...that I'm sure of. I have no idea what's going on.  I simply downloaded and installed both maps...selected a number of quads from the topo map, they appeared in the left hand pane of Mapsource, I then opened the Snowmobile trail map and added it (no selectable quads,,had to put it all on). Now the left pane contains the topo quads and the snowmobile map. I then uploaded to my card, put the card in the device. In the map menu, all that is there is NY Snowmobile 2009 free.  If I understand you correctly....the NY Topo should also be there. It's not.

I have the original file for the NY Topo map, before the snowmobile map....maybe I'll save what I have now to my PC, put that original file back on the card and see what I get...all that will be on the card will be the Topo map......you're saying it will appear in the map information screen. If that's the case, if I uncheck it....I assume I'll then be using the default map, that's on the internal memory. BTW the default map loaded on the internal memory is not in map info menu either. In fact I just removed the card....that leaves only the default map loaded in the internal memory....the map info screen shows a blank white box??? Should I be seeing the Gramin base map?

Indrid Cold

Quote from: conkris on February 18, 2011, 05:50:17 PM
If I understand you correctly....the NY Topo should also be there. It's not.

In fact I just removed the card....that leaves only the default map loaded in the internal memory....the map info screen shows a blank white box??? Should I be seeing the Gramin base map?
This gets missed by a lot of nĂ¼bies, you have to press the MENU button once you are on the Map Information screen to disable and enable the seperate mapsets.

conkris

Ah ha...I see what your saying...I can see and select each quad on the topo map  by scrolling up or down with the top joystick button ( maybe 15 of them)....I turned them all off....and got a blank screen,,,then removed the card and turned the unit back on....basic map....insert the card....turn on each qaud, one at a time...nothing until I get to and turn on the one covering by current location...then the map shows. I was thinking there was one of the whole map as in the case of the snowmobile map. I think I'm good now...heh heh  ;D

Thanks again.

Indrid Cold

If you're seeing a list if quad, press the menu button (left lower button) then you will see the individual mapsets. Enable or disable them as a whole.

conkris

There ya go....now I got it. The best part is I've seen that several times but didn't relate it. It's only been 2 weeks...there's a lot to try to comprehend and retain...fortunately I got you guys...this thing is terrific on my snowmobile....found our way back in a blinding whiteout, 1st time I used it. The buttons are hard/impossible to use with gloves and while riding (touch screen would be more practical) and a larger screen would be nice, but I got $140 invested ( Vista HCX, new demo, not a mark on it), maybe I'll upgrade to a touch screen model some day.

I appreciate all the help.

Thanks
Tony