GPSFileDepot.com

Mich TOPO displays first letter of road name on GPSMAP 60CSx

Started by chriviat, February 24, 2011, 05:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chriviat

I down loaded the Michigan TOPO map to a new card in a card reader. When I opened the map in a GPSMAP 60 CSx the road names appeared as S----- Rd. I can't figure out how to correct this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks

Boyd

That is a known bug with cgpsmapper, the map compiler that we have all used to make these free maps. For some reason, lowercase road names will not display correctly on the older handheld models, such as the 60csx and eTrex series. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do as a user to correct this. The only fix is for the map author to change all the road names to uppercase and recompile the map.

The newer models like the Oregon, Colorado, Dakota, GPSMap 62s and the Nuvi automotive units don't have this problem. Unfortunately, "it is what it is...."

maps4gps

It is now a known flaw in the Garmin software for their 'older' model GPSrs.  Non-cap letters display as '.'s on the GPSr screen.  I (and others) had not noticed it a few years ago because to keep screen clutter down I (we) usually have the names turned off.  Using all caps has its own issue.  The more recent mapsets are being build with all caps in the names.

Boyd

I don't think we can blame this bug on the Garmin software (can we?). Their own maps display lowercase road names correctly. Maps compiled with Mapwel also display lowercase properly.

I think it's a cgpsmapper bug...

chriviat

Thanks for the replys. It doesn't make it better, but now I know.

maps4gps

Boyd,   Now I am total unsure.  Caps and lower letters work fine in the names displayed when the pointer is placed on a feature.  Since the 'old' mapsets work 'properly' on the new units, why would Garmin have changed their software to accomidate for a bug in cgpsmapper?  Perhaps Stan did not realize that much of our source data uses caps and lower letters while what he developed with was in all caps (the manual states that highways must be all numerals, which is not the case in the US); therefore, missing some code Garmin used in the scree display the non-caps.  Something we will probably never know from reverse engineering.

Chriviat,  If it is a problem, you could usr the relivant US Planimetric mapset(s) plus the MI contours20ft overlay mapset.

jbensman

Is this just for roads?  Do trails POIs and polygons display the name correctly?

Boyd

I think "trails" and "roads" are the same thing really (just different line style).

The bug only seems to affect line objects that have names displayed along them. But I don't know if this also applies to streams (and too lazy find a the card I swiped from my 60csx and load a map onto it  :) )

maps4gps

In checking a older mapset of my local area:
Caps/small letter issue exists for: street, railroad, and hydro line features
                                                 hydro area features
Initial cap and following small letters are display properly for point features. 

All features display initial cap and following small letters properly when the pointer is used to get the name of the feature.