GPSFileDepot.com

Getting a Garmin Map and GPS File Depot Map onto one SD card

Started by dhudsmith, February 03, 2011, 04:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhudsmith

Hello. I have a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx and would like to take advantage of the cheap rails-to-trails Garmin maps as well as the free GPS file Depot maps. Of course, I would like to be able to access both of these maps simultaneously on my device. Is there any way that I can install a GPS File Depot map onto a micro SD card with rails-to-trails installed side by side?

By the way, "download" is the only available format for the Garmin rails-to-trails map.

Boyd

I think you would need to install "rails to trails" on it's own dedicated memory card. This kind of map will not be compatible with Mapsource, and your model GPS will only recognize one map file which must be named gmapsupp.img.

So the only way to install multiple maps on the same card would be to get them all into mapsource and send them as a bundle to the gps where they will be combined in a single gmapsupp.img file. Since you can't get this product into mapsource, that won't be possible.

Newer Garmin models allow multiple map files to be recognized, so they would allow you to do what you want, but not the eTrex series.

Boyd

I suppose you might try to use the free Sendmap20 program to bundle the map with others - download it here:

http://www.cgpsmapper.com/buy.htm

I suspect it won't work, but it's worth a try. You would just drag the gmapsupp.img files to the SendMap20 program window and then either save to a file or send directly to the GPS.

jbensman

What state are you in?  If you are in one of the 37 states My Trails covers, it may have the trails you are looking for.  You can combine My Trails with other maps and send it to your GPS.

dhudsmith

I am in SC, and I have used My Trails. It's great mapping! Some of the trails in my area have changed since the map data was generated. I am unable to find more up-to-date map data. I was also interested in testing out the automatic routing feature of the Garmin maps.