GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPS Map Edit Icons > Map Source (> eTrex)

Started by greenfrog5, January 29, 2011, 06:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenfrog5

I have noticed that some icons in GPSMapEdit display correctly (navigation ones, parking) in MapSource, and some don't (trailhead).  Even though MapSource HAS a trailhead icon...

I saw online there was a TestFile that used to be available that showed all the icons.  I cannot find it anymore.  I may make one of my own, but would rather not.  Does anybody know of one?

Any insight why something like Trailhead wouldn't transfer over the MapSource even though there is an icon for it?

Thanks
Aaron

greenfrog5

I was able to find the Map Features Test file which is a great reference for the MapEdit > MapSource icon relationship.  Is this really what I am limited to when making maps?

I have also figured out custom Waypoint Icons, and custom POIs (with custom icons).  This might be a good supplement to put custom/other icons with my maps.  Is there a way to embed these within the map like the Garmin CityNavigator maps?

jbensman

You can use a typ file to override any default display of a POI, line, or polygon.  Here is an editor:

http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi

I'm not very good at drawing and I have not been able to find many graphics to use, so I only have a couple in My Trails.  There are multiple icons I would like a better icon for if anyone knows of sources or can draw them.

You can open the the typ file in My Trails with the editor to see how it is done. 

Note MapSource caches maps so sometimes after you change a typ file or install a new version of a map, the old version displays.  press ctrl G twice to fix this.

eaparks

Quote from: greenfrog5 on January 29, 2011, 09:24:10 PMIs this really what I am limited to when making maps?
Yes with GPSMapEdit, unless you really want to get very advanced with .typ files.  With that I mean you can create a .typ file that customizes a "point" = icon, but to start creating a few custom icons for a .typ file would be time consuming and advanced computer skillls, but is doable... Requires a lot more than just making a custom map using a .typ file for "lines".  Using the .typ online editor would help but it would be very limited in it's use for good custom graphics for icons you would really need a good graphics program.

QuoteI have also figured out custom Waypoint Icons, and custom POIs (with custom icons).  This might be a good supplement to put custom/other icons with my maps.  Is there a way to embed these within the map like the Garmin CityNavigator maps?
Not really, above answer appiles here, too (custom .typ file using custom made "points".

I also sent you a PM.

eaparks

A fairly simple program such as Icon Forge is just for making custom Icons.  You could find an icon or symbol anwhere on line... save it (screen shot), resize it, open in Icon Forge for determing color attributes and color pixel locations and copy each pixel for a custom icon for a custom .typ file.  As I had mentioned, a lot of trouble and involved.