GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Having trouble using Garmin Map ID finder

Started by Colorado Charlie, February 16, 2011, 01:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado Charlie

Don't know how to use Map ID finder, (1st time user).  Map is on MSD located in Card reader.  ID finder icon on desktop and opens.  What now?

Boyd

What is a Map ID Finder? Never heard of that before...

Colorado Charlie

Found it under the TOOLS tab...  Says will give ID/Code of Garmin maps on MSD cards.

Indrid Cold

It's included on the tool page so map makers won't use the same ID as an installed map. What map are you looking for the ID of?

Colorado Charlie

Not really sure... the msd came with the Vista HCx from eBay.  Think its Garmin 24K Southeast U.S.   I want to make sure as I'm thinking of selling it.   Also... the card will work in most all Garmin models with a card slot, right?   Is there a way to determine the Title/Maker of the map through Basecamp?  If so, how?

maps4gps

QuoteIt's included on the tool page so map makers won't use the same ID as an installed map.

With nearly 450 maps listed here (not all vector with an ID); I doubt anyone would download them all just to check which ID's have been used in the past. 

Boyd

I still really confused here. What is an MSD? Micro SD card? The Garmin 24k topo is a commercial product. The maps on this site were made by individuals and have no relation whatsoever to Garmin products. So I really don't know what you are trying to do.

If you place your card in a USB reader and run Basecamp, it should be able to access the map if it's a genuine pre-loaded data card from Garmin. If it doesn't access the map, then the card was probably created from the DVD version and will only be usable on the GPS itself.

Assuming that Basecamp does see the map, use Tools > Manage Map products and select the topo map. It will show you the copyright info.

There should also be a way to display this on the GPS itself. Not familiar with your model, but you would probably press menu > menu > settings > maps and look for an item with map info.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Colorado Charlie on February 16, 2011, 07:06:20 PM
Not really sure... the msd came with the Vista HCx from eBay.  Think its Garmin 24K Southeast U.S.   I want to make sure as I'm thinking of selling it.   Also... the card will work in most all Garmin models with a card slot, right?   Is there a way to determine the Title/Maker of the map through Basecamp?  If so, how?
This software won't tell you what map is on the card, it gives you the map I'D. You can find out what map or maps are on the card from the map info on the GPSr.

Colorado Charlie

Thanks for all the help... I'll try your suggestions.