GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Custom Maps for Garmin Oregon 450

Started by plloco, August 27, 2010, 08:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plloco

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and relatively new to this "GPS-thing". I already know how to make from JPG a custom map for my Garmin Oregon 450. However, since I use a lot of "custom maps" I would like to put them not directly in the Garmin memory (Garmin/Custom Maps/), but on a separate micro SD card. Is there a trick to do it? Because when I try, the GPS doesn't see my custom maps.

My second question relates to using MAPC2MAPS. I'm able to go through the tutorial and end up with image tiles in one folder (.jpg format) and the doc file (.kml format), but from this point I'm clueless what to do with them.

Thanks for any help.

Seldom

If you make a Garmin\CustomMaps folder on the card you can use it.  Be sure to match the spelling of CustomMaps  (I don't think there's a space in it).

plloco

gp.saliola

Recently OkMap freeware software (www.okmap.org) include a feature to generate automatically compatible Garmin custom maps (kmz format).
The map calibration is sophisticated because OkMap uses different type of projection and several datums.
This new feature includes map tiling from and to different image file formats (including from ECW map files).
It's possible select KML extensions 2.2 (if GPS supports them), the JPEG quality, KML transparency, draw order, ecc..
You can select the tiles to generate in output.
This feature support also not north oriented maps.
OkMap include a Google maps server to download maps from Google, OpenStreetMap, MyTopo, DOCQ, ecc..
These two features combined together may be very useful.